Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission neturals out on highway

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2011, 5:30 PM
mks
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission neturals out on highway

Whether I am using the cruise control or manually pressing the gas pedal the transmission will neutral out while driving on the highway or on city streets. The cruise will cut off and the ABS break light and parking brake light will come on and the door alarm will sound and the speedometer will go to zero. When I pull off the road the transmission will engage and I can quickly pull back in traffic without any slipping or missing. When I pull over and cut the van off and restart it, it will reset the ABS and parking brake lights.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Sometimes on the highway when it happens I will see the speedometer go to zero, bounce a little, while the transmission neutrals out and then go back to the speed I am going and I can drive on with no problems. <o></o>
I have noticed that at times when turning sharply to the right or left the transmission neutral out and the brake light come on but I have not been able to make this happen. Sometimes this will happen 2-3 times in a day and may not happen again for 2 weeks. <o></o>
Old November 8th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You don't say what you have (year, model, engine) but if it's older than about 5 years, the ignition switch was designed to carry a lot of current. The electrical contacts inside the switch then tend to wear out and/or oxidize and can cause intermittent problems like yours. Try jiggling the key to see if you can make it fail on demand.
Old November 9th, 2011, 1:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Mks,
Welcome to the forum! If you would like to send me your name and VIN number I can check with my resources and see if I can find out any information for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 14th, 2011, 6:17 PM
mks
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. You don't say what you have (year, model, engine) but if it's older than about 5 years, the ignition switch was designed to carry a lot of current. The electrical contacts inside the switch then tend to wear out and/or oxidize and can cause intermittent problems like yours. Try jiggling the key to see if you can make it fail on demand.
I have a 2008 Chevy Express van with 90000 miles. I am not sure what engine I have. My local dealer suggested the key thing but I have not been able to make it fail on demand.

Last edited by mks; November 14th, 2011 at 6:33 PM.
Old November 14th, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there's not much to go on, then. If you haven't already, you may want to start keeping a log. Try to include as much information as you can and eventually you may be able to see some common themes.