Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trying to install rear A/C block off kit in 2002 3500 Express, having issues.

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2018, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to install rear A/C block off kit in 2002 3500 Express, having issues.

I'm looking to install a rear A/C block off kit I got from streetrodguys, but the installation instructions are beyond bare-bones. Already got the A/C system evacuated. I know where I'm supposed to install the caps, but I am having problems reaching the spot. It's buried under the blower assembly, and I can't find any information online about how to access it. The Haynes manual isn't all that informative about it either, saying all I need to remove to access the area is the battery and the coolant tank. I've removed both, but I still can't really reach what I need. I haven't found any videos about this either. Can I do this at all, or should I just hook everything back up and take it to a professional because it's not doable without specialized equipment? Given how simple the instructions I got were, I figured it would be something that can be done with standard tools, as long as the A/C system is empty first.
Old May 14th, 2018, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing Rear A/C Block Off - YouTube
Video for you tube how to install rear a/c in 3500chevy van▶ 24:37
Apr 28, 2017 - Uploaded by South Main Auto Repair
South Main Auto Repair. ... In this video Eric O. demonstrates how he blocks off the rear air conditioning ...
Missing: 3500chevy
Old May 14th, 2018, 7:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this video helps you out...
Old May 14th, 2018, 8:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the block of kits i have used can be installed anywhere on the rear a/c lines...as long as its before the leak area. The closer to the front the better as this leaves less line for potential future leaks. Post a pic of what your kit consists of.
Old May 14th, 2018, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wyn_fox
I hope this video helps you out...
It's a good video, but appears to be for some kind of minivan. I'm thankful my lines don't run over the muffler to be honest. They just took a slight detour over the gas tank. I appreciate the help all the same.

Originally Posted by tech2
Post a pic of what your kit consists of.

Just the standard 2002 Chevy Express 3500 rear a/c block off kit. I'm starting to think my van has had some work done on the rear a/c in the past that I don't know about. I got a picture from the distributor, and the lines really don't match up. They should be there in front of the accumulator, but they aren't. I think the rear a/c is getting fed somewhere else. I'm hoping it's using the same fittings as expected, otherwise this kit is getting ebay'd. I'm thinking of looking for high pressure end caps of the right size, and just capping the lines as close to the front as I can if that is the case. Still need to dig deep around the engine to see where these lines run, I'll be doing that tomorrow.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

would removing the front tire and maybe the wheel well liner give a better view.
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, the lines run painfully close to the engine, to the point where I think I'm better off just getting A/C line terminators from Grainger and installing them near the driver's door. Not the ideal solution, but it will work.

The van has another issue, one that I thought was gone. The battery that was in it previously stopped holding a charge, so I got a new one. It was bad, and couldn't hold a charge longer than a day. Finally got a good battery, but the van was idling low on start, to the point where it would stall out if I didn't give it a little gas at all times. Last time I reset the computer, it had no issues idling while waiting to heat up for the relearning. I took it to a mechanic and had the van's electrical tested for ignition/charging issues. Test came back clean, and everything worked fine. Today I reinstalled the battery after getting the front end a/c and cooling straightened out, and it's back to having the low idle issue. I know I'm supposed to let the engine warm up with my foot off of the throttle in order to do the computer relearning procedure, so I'm worried this will throw off the relearning procedure.

I see a lot of posts online about this happening, though the description isn't exactly the same. Many people say the throttle body could be dirty, or the throttle position sensor could be fried, or possible ignition coil issues. I saw one set of posts about how the PASSLOCK system prior to 2003 had some issues that never got fixed, but wouldn't that shut the engine off instead of causing a low idle? Even more confounding, the issue wasn't present when taking the van to the mechanic, or on the ride back. I had just put the battery in before taking it to the mechanic, so if the relearning procedure was causing the low idle, it didn't cause it then.

Any ideas about this one?

EDIT: This morning I fired the van up and it idled just fine. I didn't do the relearning procedure from the time I hooked the battery up yesterday until this morning, so I have no idea why the van has no issues with idle now. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see if the problem has returned.

Last edited by Cantfindinfo; May 16th, 2018 at 6:35 PM. Reason: More info, don't need to bump.