Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wander

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2024, 1:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jjrbus
What about this caster/camber kit that is available??

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCP2...jBN8O3J2vxUmBM
If you move the rear of the upper A-arm inboard, and the front outboard, the caster is increased. Are your adjusters messed up? Do those provide more movement than stock? Wouldn't that be something the alignment shop could provide and install?
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (January 4th, 2024)
Old January 4th, 2024, 7:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don;t trust Carfax, It did verify what previous owner told me who owned it 2 years and showed that the Roadtrek was dealer serviced all its life. I have read were someone bought new idler arms that they had issues with being the wrong angle. It was fine when I first bought it so hoping that is not the issue.

If I bought new idler arms I would not have the OE adjusters to compare them to.

I am not much of a mechanic, alignment and such is way above my paygrade and have to rely on others. I can replace parts so I would not know a good adjuster from a bad one unless it was often losing alignment. I can see where the aftermarket replacement adjusters with detents to hold alignment in place could be helpful.

Thank;s for the input always greatly appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2024, 6:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Where I am at now, my 01 express Express, Cut away Roadtrek RV has been looked over, poked, prodded multiple times and given a clean bill of health.. Tires have been inspected and road force balanced. It was fine when I bought it so unlikely that the upper control arms are the wrong angle. I added KYB Gas Adjust shocks and all the reading I have done, no one replaced shocks to cure wander and none of the mechanics have suggested it could be the shocks, so guessing it is not the shocks. Which leaves me with alignment, tires and wheels. Tires are Bridgestone LT 245/75R 16, 2 years old with 10,000 miles on them, load range E. Should be ok for the van, were OE to the van and lots of people run them so should be ok. Put the after market aluminum rims on about 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing was a what;s wrong moment. It has been mentioned that aluminum rims can cause problems.

So now I am looking at videos on adding the cam caster kit and looking for a set of tires on steel rims to test tires and rims. Other than an intermittent electrical problem this is the worst automotive problem I have ever had.
Old January 7th, 2024, 11:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jjrbus
...I added KYB Gas Adjust shocks and all the reading I have done, no one replaced shocks to cure wander and none of the mechanics have suggested it could be the shocks, so guessing it is not the shocks...
With shocks it isn't so much that that they have a direct effect on wander, but that they can help reduce the angle and speed of body roll. This can make for less white knuckle driving while dealing with wandering.
The following 2 users liked this post by Triaged:
jjrbus (January 7th, 2024), RoadTrip (January 7th, 2024)
Old January 7th, 2024, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just purchased 2000 g350 today. Wanders like mad. Really touchy. Caster can do that. The purpose of caster is to make vehicle track straight. I used to do frontend and alignment work years ago.
Ill get mine checked out. I think I could increase caster with offset ball joints (usually used for camber) if they make them for this application.

Last edited by Older; January 7th, 2024 at 9:28 PM.
Old January 8th, 2024, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Older
Just purchased 2000 g350 today. Wanders like mad. Really touchy. Caster can do that. The purpose of caster is to make vehicle track straight. I used to do frontend and alignment work years ago.
Ill get mine checked out. I think I could increase caster with offset ball joints (usually used for camber) if they make them for this application.

They sell a aftermarket caster camber kit for GM, Do you think I should try the kit before changing out wheels and tires? They sell 2 types of kits one is an offset bolt for upper control arms for caster/camber and the other is with detents to stop alignment from being knocked out by roads. Neither kit is expensive.

Last edited by jjrbus; January 8th, 2024 at 7:50 AM.
Old January 9th, 2024, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 3500 cutaway and have been trying to find offset ball joints to fix my “way off” camber and have been unsuccessful. If you find a solution I would sure like to know how and what you used. Cheers Gary
Old January 9th, 2024, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mcormg1
I have a 2000 3500 cutaway and have been trying to find offset ball joints to fix my “way off” camber and have been unsuccessful. If you find a solution I would sure like to know how and what you used. Cheers Gary
Mountanmanjoe posted above that the wrong control arms can affect camber

Last edited by jjrbus; January 9th, 2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old January 9th, 2024, 3:33 PM
CF Junior Member

So I web search for hours, ask questions on forums. Have things checked and rechecked, 4 alignments since I bought the van 3 recently. Look all over the web to get parts. Buy the caster camber kit will be in 5 pm today. Come home and start disassembling the van. I'm not a mechanic, I don't pretend to be a mechanic but these look just like the kits I bought!

Old January 9th, 2024, 11:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Some of the parts available are copies of the original and some are more offset so they can provide for more adjustment. It looks like rockauto has 1-1/8°, 2°, and 2-1/4° so maybe factory was 1-1/8°?
That picture of your adjuster looks like it's about in the middle of it's adjustment range.
​​​​

Quick Reply: Wander