Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wander

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2024, 5:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
Some of the parts available are copies of the original and some are more offset so they can provide for more adjustment. It looks like rockauto has 1-1/8°, 2°, and 2-1/4° so maybe factory was 1-1/8°?
That picture of your adjuster looks like it's about in the middle of it's adjustment range.
​​​​
Like the mechanics I have been going to this is all new to me. I have learned more about tires, wheels, caster, offset than I ever wanted to know. I thought when I saw 1 1/8 and 2 1/4 that they were just measuring different? one giving total and the other giving in and out.

Now I have to be concerned the shop I having the alignment done at does it right.
Old January 10th, 2024, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

This is getting frustrating. I go back to the alignment shop and tell them there are kits in place. We know they are at their max adjustment you need new kits. It seems to me the new kit is going to be the same as the old kit, it is a simple concentric bolt. Do the kits max out or wear out??
Old January 11th, 2024, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Always something and web searching is not clear. Told to replace the caster camber kit because there was no adjustment left. OK start disassembling and this does not look right and goes against my common sense. This is the driver side, the insert on the side nearest the fire wall has been removed. This one is still in place. Right or wrong??

Old January 11th, 2024, 4:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by jjrbus
the insert on the side...
you mean the disc washer? I thought those go on the outside of the mount.
The following 2 users liked this post by mountainmanjoe:
jjrbus (January 12th, 2024), Triaged (January 11th, 2024)
Old January 12th, 2024, 6:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Not the disc washer, where the bolt comes through the mount is pre punched to be to be a slot instead of a hole. So as the bolt turns it moves the disc which moves the bolt in and out adjusting the angle. Hard to see but on side towards the firewall the tab/punchout was removed when they first installed the kit.

Old January 12th, 2024, 2:03 PM
Super Moderator

yup , I understand how the adjusters work. Maybe I don't understand your question.
Old January 12th, 2024, 5:18 PM
CF Junior Member

yup , I understand how the adjusters work. Maybe I don't understand your question.
I was wondering if there was a reason they would leave the insert in one side of the bracket?
Old January 12th, 2024, 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

the insert on the side...
I was wondering if there was a reason they would leave the insert in one side of the bracket?

Again, you keep saying "insert" but I don't know what you mean.

Are you saying the slot is punched out on one mounting bracket, but not the other?
Punch it out then if that's required to align properly

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 12th, 2024 at 5:29 PM.
Old January 12th, 2024, 7:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Again, you keep saying "insert" but I don't know what you mean.

Are you saying the slot is punched out on one mounting bracket, but not the other?
Punch it out then if that's required to align properly
Ok will punch out.
Old April 7th, 2024, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Wander issue

01 Chevy express 3500 converted to class B by Roadtrek. I have been having a highway wandering issue. I have had the vehicle inspected multiple times, 3 front end alignments recently, 5 total. Also found the alignment techs at tire places are not the best place to go with older vans. I have decided I either have a tire or wheel issue. I have 2 year old Bridgestone LT245 75R 16 with about 10k on them, 80 psi rear, 65 psi front. The wheels are aftermarket Classic Chevy aluminum about 1 1/2 year old. Recently had a road force spin balance done. I am trying to gather up enough OE steel wheels to swap out and see if that is the issue. Of course the OE steel wheels are rarer than hen's teeth unless I want to spend $75 each for them. The local pick and pull charges $10 each but only had 2.

So my question is has anyone heard of tires or aftermarket aluminum wheels causing handling issues? I have done multiple web searchs and only found one reference to aluminum wheels causing handling issues.

Quick Reply: Wander