Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What did you do with your van today?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2021, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I'm bored, I'll share my latest install, a phone mount, Aukey 360 degree phone mount. Works pretty good, and happy with the location.

good spot, will upload pic of torque pro app shortly

Also, I installed 7 inch curtain holders from lowes, cannot believe they made open trays without a lip to hold things in.

spring curtain rods, couple bucks from lowes

Last edited by fivekidsandavan; March 24th, 2021 at 9:57 PM.
Old March 24th, 2021, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Torque pro works great on my 2019, I was mainly interested in transmission temperature, but a tachometer and some other gauges was a good idea. I don't think the ambient temp works correctly, not sure where it reads from, but its mostly wrong.

torque pro on a huawei p30 pro
The following users liked this post:
cowolter (March 25th, 2021)
Old March 24th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

I'm surprised the suction cup sticks to the textures dash.
Old March 25th, 2021, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I'm surprised the suction cup sticks to the textures dash.
It wouldn't, but they provide an adhesive suction cup "landing pad", which glues to the textured area and then provides a completely flat surface for the cup to hold to. We shall see if the adhesive pad survives the California summer heat.
Old March 27th, 2021, 10:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

During the week I cut a carpet for the back of the 94 and today I cut up some 1/8th plywood to form interior panels plus a couple of old sliding closet doors (cost: free) to make a shelf and divider in the back. I need to cut plywood sheet #3 to make part of the headliner and the rest will finish off the left side interior panel. It will need a 4th sheet to finish the headliner. The G-van top is about 58-59 inches across, just shy of 5 feet. From the back of the B-post to the rear is about 10 1/2 feet.

This has a rear heat/AC unit and a return hose comes off the bottom straight down and runs into the side of the van. If GM had made this outlet turn 90' so it's parallel to the ground it would be much easier to run. I spent an hour last night looking at van photos and found even fancy high end conversions with this unit in them, that hose is visible coming off the unit and running into the interior paneling.

A neighbor curbed those doors and back in the day my grandfather made a basement bar top out of a similar hollow core door so I thought maybe I could use them and get a little vintage look going. Being older they have a fairly decent filler in them and I can go back and slip some wood in the cut ends.

Next up is a platform over the wheel houses to serve as a bed which will also get a carpet over it. The lower 18 inches of the side panels will get some too. The remnant was about twice as big as I needed to do the rear of the van so plenty left over for the side panels, for lower door panels, etc.

It looks pretty nice inside already. I am just glad to get rid of the work shelves and stuff that came in it though. They rattled and banged and made a ton of noise, they were just kind of cobbed in with not nearly the number of bolts they probably should have had. Sold them for $800 though so all good there.
Old August 4th, 2021, 10:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally finished completed ONE parking brake pad replacement. Much cussing was involved.

I did this without removing the axles and got the impression that the main spring could be pushed in place once mounted. Nope, not so for the pad set I bought.

Next, the other side...upside down. Grrr, I hate drum brakes.
Old August 4th, 2021, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Parking brake pads shouldn't really wear out, should they? If they're applied while parked?
Old August 10th, 2021, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Parking brake pads shouldn't really wear out, should they? If they're applied while parked?
When the rust gets bad enough, PO ignored the rotors and 300k miles, yes, they can go bad. Removed those last year.

This year's mess started simple: Flush the brake fluid.

Oops, bleed screws where rusted crazy, only able to remove one out of four. Considered drilling out, but the calipers were rusty mess anyway and who knew what else was in there? How much work to cleanup? Decided to go for new calipers on all four, new rotors up front (replace the rears last year).
Oops, parking pads, etc. Finally done, installed all new brackets/calipers. Time for cables.
Oops, front brake cables okay, rear too rusted to seal. GAH! New cables ordered. Removed old cables.
Oops, one of the brakes lines was rusted into the compress nut at the cable. &(*)&)&#)%!!! Working on a line patch.
So much fun.
Old June 4th, 2024, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator

I decided to have an engine oil analysis done. For no reason other than to satisfy my curiosity, and to have a baseline to compare with should a problem ever arise.
Looks like I already have some issues.

Old June 5th, 2024, 12:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Lots of iron and copper in there. What oil? How many total miles?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your van today?