Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What type rear axel doe’s my 04 3500 have

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2023, 1:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What type rear axel doe’s my 04 3500 have

I have a 04 chevy express 3500 van. When I change the fuild on my new van I want a replacement cover.

Took the the best image I could.

Searched the vin# Axle Type - Rear

Full-Floating (not sure what full floating is)?

Axle Capacity - Rear

6084 lbs 6084.0 min 6084.0 max

I believe there are 10 bolts holding the cover on. Anyone know what type rear end this is?

Is this rear end on the 8 lug wheels different from the 1500 an 2500s? like if I find a 3500 I’d like to reuse it’s cover. thanks

Old January 29th, 2023, 2:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
not sure what full floating is
An axle that "floats" means that it does not bear the weight of the vehicle.
Instead, there is an extra set of bearings so that the vehicle weight sits on the outer tube/housing. The axle shaft itself is only used to provide rotation/torque to the wheels.
This configuration greatly increases the load capacity of a vehicle.
Axles on the half-ton (1500) and maybe some 3/4-ton (2500) vans are "semi-floating". Here, the axle takes the entire rear end weight.

The following users liked this post:
the Brain (January 30th, 2023)
Old January 29th, 2023, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone know what type rear end this is?
If you visit a dealership with your VIN, they can look it up.

Also trying looking closely at your axle tubes. Use a strong light and look all the way around, bring a wire brush to scrape off rust. There should be a sticker or codes stamped into it or the differential housing.
It'll be one of these: https://lugnut4x4.com/axles/14-bolt-vs-dana-60-dana-70/

If you use the forum search, you can find topics like this one, which gives part numbers for the cover and gasket.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...le-hmmm-98281/
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...erence-109450/
Old January 29th, 2023, 4:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

Well it's not a 14-bolt that's for sure. It's a Dana axle. Clean up the tubes and find the ID on it but if I had to guess it's a D70. I think a D80 would have a higher weight rating and there aren't many full floating D60's out there.
Old January 30th, 2023, 7:36 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If you visit a dealership with your VIN, they can look it up.

Also trying looking closely at your axle tubes. Use a strong light and look all the way around, bring a wire brush to scrape off rust. There should be a sticker or codes stamped into it or the differential housing.
It'll be one of these: https://lugnut4x4.com/axles/14-bolt-vs-dana-60-dana-70/

If you use the forum search, you can find topics like this one, which gives part numbers for the cover and gasket.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...le-hmmm-98281/
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...erence-109450/
thanks mountainmanjoe excellent advice as usalle will have a close look will serial # explain what type RE it is?

I'll get van on ramps an try to get better image, will also use the brail method of counting bolts an report back.
when I find a replacment cover hopefully w/ a drain plug.
of course I'll spary these bolts w/ JB blaster penatrating oil a few times over a few days before attempting cover removal.

what are the chances of these bolts breaking? like are they undersized like GM exhaust mannifold bolts are? thanks

Originally Posted by Triaged
Well it's not a 14-bolt that's for sure. It's a Dana axle. Clean up the tubes and find the ID on it but if I had to guess it's a D70. I think a D80 would have a higher weight rating and there aren't many full floating D60's out there.
yes Triaged you right I believe there's only 10 bolts thanks I'll take a close look.
Old January 31st, 2023, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

10-5” rear end GT4 code I’ve confirmed code on list lable. Mite be stamped as a 70S model

not sure what GT4 codes means, unsure if it's a posie. I think GU80 is for posie

I’ve watched a few of this mans videos he seams to know a lot about the road trek

Which is almost identical to my pleasureway.

Next time I’m in the vicinity of the dealership an have a few minutes to kill I stop and ask. For a real vin search.

I’m hopping the bolts don’t break.

Thanks Guys for advice will report back if I’m lucky to remove cover w/ a replacement in hand. I'm going cockeyed looking at all these dana covers. diffenity need a drain plug on replacement cover.
which includes adding a drain to a stock cover.

from the looks of it mines beyond surface rust. remove grind paint would be to easy.

edit: is it possiable to loosen a few bolts on bottom to drain fuild? or must the cover completely come off?

Last edited by the Brain; January 31st, 2023 at 1:02 PM.
Old January 31st, 2023, 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

must the cover completely come off?
Most people like to take the cover off. That way you get an idea of the condition of the internals, and can easily spot problems such as contamination, abnormal wear, bolts backing out, or heaven forbid loose parts rolling around (yes I've seen it happen.), whatever....
Once you crack the cover, the gasket should be thrown away and replaced. They are single use. Unless it's a newer model with the rubber reusable kind, in which case I would clean it off.
Don't forget to make sure you vent is clear too. Clogged vents can cause seals to blow out.
the Brain (February 8th, 2023)