Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What year range 350 motor compatible with 05 3500?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2022, 4:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What year range 350 motor compatible with 05 3500?

I bought an 05 express 3500 from a junkyard where people took the motor and transmission, and just cut wires and hoses to pull it out.

I'm now shopping for a 350 motor, but I want something compatible with my van- even though I'll probably have to replace some or all of the harness. Any help is appreciated. This is going to be converted to a 4x4, and lived-in throughout the USA, Canada, and Mexico, so I want it to be as fuel efficient as possible.

Help, tips,

and advice are appreciated!
Old June 30th, 2022, 8:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundrawolf
I bought an 05 express 3500 from a junkyard where people took the motor and transmission, and just cut wires and hoses to pull it out.

I'm now shopping for a 350 motor, but I want something compatible with my van- even though I'll probably have to replace some or all of the harness. Any help is appreciated. This is going to be converted to a 4x4, and lived-in throughout the USA, Canada, and Mexico, so I want it to be as fuel efficient as possible.

Help, tips,

and advice are appreciated!
Have you considered the 4.8 liter V8? Frankly, I don't know if it will get better gas-mileage than a 5.7 V8, but it's the smallest V8 that they make. An inline-6 cylinder would be nice, but would not fit into most Chevy's as they'd have to stretch out the front end body to accommodate an In-line 6-cylinder engine, that or flare out the firewall to shove the transmission rearward. Might work with a stick-shift transmission, however. Back in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970s,' lots of C-10's came with a 235, 250 and 292 I-6 motor

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 30th, 2022 at 8:48 PM.
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Your van was never equipped with a 350 (5.7L), so it will not be compatible without substantial work.

Read the hood sticker or run your VIN to see what engine it needs.

Just to warn you ... If you're paying somebody do all the work, it'll never be worth it.

If your priority is fuel efficiency then you bought the wrong vehicle.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 30th, 2022 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MiragePilot (July 5th, 2022)
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chevy switched to the LS engines after ‘02 and the 350 was not carried over. I had an ‘02 Express with the 350 and it moved out okay but did not have the torque of the newer engines.

Since you are going to do a 4x4 conversion on the van, why not use a 5.3L that was optionally mated to the AWD drivetrain?

You won’t set any mpg records with a 5.3, but you’ll get the torque you need in an engine designed to fit in your generation van.
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Have you considered the 4.8 liter V8? Frankly, I don't know if it will get better gas-mileage than a 5.7 V8, but it's the smallest V8 that they make. An inline-6 cylinder would be nice, but would not fit into most Chevy's as they'd have to stretch out the front end body to accommodate an In-line 6-cylinder engine, that or flare out the firewall to shove the transmission rearward. Might work with a stick-shift transmission, however. Back in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970s,' lots of C-10's came with a 235, 250 and 292 I-6 motor
Well, the covered utility bed weighs a bit, and with all my daily gear, I'm going to need a bit of power, but not the fuel mileage of a big block... Also want an automatic, I know I'll lose some efficiency but I want he convenience.
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Your van was never equipped with a 350 (5.7L), so it will not be compatible without substantial work.

Read the hood sticker or run your VIN to see what engine it needs.

Just to warn you ... If you're paying somebody do all the work, it'll never be worth it.

If your priority is fuel efficiency then you bought the wrong vehicle.
I'm doing the work myself. So it came with the LS, or something else. It was either this van or a Ford, but I like Chevy and the ifs 4x4 is a better ride. I also didn't buy it for efficiency, I'd be shopping for a Prius otherwise, this van has a flat frame for the covered utility bed. A pickup would raise the utility bed too high. The van is a good compromise. I'm not looking for 50mpg, just as best I can get with this van and an automatic transmission that is reliable (4l80e)
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadTrip
Chevy switched to the LS engines after ‘02 and the 350 was not carried over. I had an ‘02 Express with the 350 and it moved out okay but did not have the torque of the newer engines.

Since you are going to do a 4x4 conversion on the van, why not use a 5.3L that was optionally mated to the AWD drivetrain?

You won’t set any mpg records with a 5.3, but you’ll get the torque you need in an engine designed to fit in your generation van.

The issue is, I'll be hauling a bit of weight. I don't mind lugging it too much, and I can use the 4 low from he transfer case if I need to of road, but I don't want a "dog", I want a good compromise between power and efficiency. Maybe the LS is where it's at
Old June 30th, 2022, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

What you are describing is a very ambitious. Usually, people capable of pulling off projects like this are knowledgeable, experienced, or very resourceful, and don't need to ask basic questions in forums.
In any case, please do post your progress.
Old July 1st, 2022, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
What you are describing is a very ambitious. Usually, people capable of pulling off projects like this are knowledgeable, experienced, or very resourceful, and don't need to ask basic questions in forums.
In any case, please do post your progress.
You got it
Old July 1st, 2022, 3:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your state's emission laws. Some require an exact replacement.

Quick Reply: What year range 350 motor compatible with 05 3500?