Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Whistling when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling when shifting gears

Howdy all! New member here.

I just purchased a 2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT factory conversion van. It has about 145k on it. But it's in really good shape apart from a few small scratches and normal wear and tear. It seems to run very well. However, sometimes I am getting a slight whistling sound when it changes gears. Like right before it kicks in fully to the next gear. It doesn't happen all the time but more often than not. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old February 13th, 2014, 9:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. Take it to a tranny shop and have it test driven. You never know how serious that might be. Sometimes new fluid and filter is all it needs, or maybe more. Don't wait to find out.
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like when its between gears and there's no load on the drive shaft it makes noise, could be the driveshaft carrier bearing.. Can you replicate the condition? For example Neutral coasting? It would be ideal to jack it up and run it but this would be dangerous.
Old February 17th, 2014, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. Something I noticed - seems the whistling is happening less often now for some reason and doesn't seem to be associated with shifting gears after-all. It whistled briefly a few times when just cruising down the road. Seems I read somewhere that this whistling is somewhat common in some GM trucks. I'll keep you posted if I notice anything else unusual. Thanks again!