Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Window van vs cargo van for camper

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2020, 6:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window van vs cargo van for camper

I've been searching for a gently used chevy express 2010 or later 2500 cargo van with under 100k mi to buy for part time "back-up" truck, part time camper conversion. Most every one I find is a "fleet" vehicle that has been beat to heck and over priced. I do see passenger vans that appear to be used in a much "softer" manner and at more reasonable prices. Has anyone stripped the vinyl "skin" out of a window van and/or covered the windows to allow more alternative camper van conversions? Any input on if the windows cause the interior to heat up more in the summer and has anyone effectively stopped that with interior window coverings?
There is a poster here (Black95 I think) who has done a wonderful job with his window van camper but he left all the "guts" intact.
Any input would be appreciated!
Old July 26th, 2020, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You may want to go look at Expedition Portal to see what people have been doing. They have a van section.
My thought is that you will want to look at counter top heights vs the windows and decide if you want to cover the exterior of the windows where you need privacy or just use curtains. I have a Roadtrek Popular 190 which has custom windows essentially in all locations except the bathroom. I think the fridge is about 6" taller than the beltline.
The following users liked this post:
dankellyweir (July 26th, 2020)
Old July 26th, 2020, 2:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Yes I've stripped my window van down to bare metal.

The "box" of the van is only a single layer of sheet metal. A lot can be gained just by adding insulation to it. I think it could be made very cozy.
I specifically wanted windows because I like being able to see. The tint on them is quite dark so it lets in very little heat. The "walls" get much warmer than the windows do, and they are painted white.
dankellyweir (July 26th, 2020)
Old July 26th, 2020, 8:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for your input!
Old July 26th, 2020, 8:55 PM
CF Junior Member

I did check out that expedition site - seems like the rear "curtain" airbag might be an issue - never thought about that...Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2020, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

I thought about removing the curtain airbags, until I learned that they protect the driver and passenger. So I decided to leave them in.
dankellyweir (August 3rd, 2020)
Old August 2nd, 2020, 6:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The glass is just urethaned in, heck I've seen a few where it fell out. No reason you couldn't find a junker and sawzall out the plain tin and install with panel bond or something. Most of the inside plastic just snaps into place.
dankellyweir (August 3rd, 2020)