Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 - Transmission doesn't gear while moving the lever

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 - Transmission doesn't gear while moving the lever

Hello every one! I am a newby in this website, but I really need help because I have less than 4 weeks to understand what's going on with my Chevy Lumina before I go back to Italy!

So, I have a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 with 96800 miles on the clock. Everything was going fine with the car, until one day, right out of the blue, I started the car, set the gear and nothing was happening. I describe you in details. The car is running, I move the lever, but it doesn't set any gear, not even Neutral, it basically doesn't move. But every now and then, after many attempts or completely random, the transmission sets the gear and the car runs. This happens more often with the Drive rather than Reverse, I mean, 5 out of 10 times car does go in Drive, but only 1 out of 10 times it goes in Reverse. I also specify that while driving after the D is set, the car goes miles and miles without slipping or problems of any kind, this problem only occurs when I move the lever into any position. It's like the electronic something sometimes doesn't give the command to move.

I can only force the transmission to set the gear by revving up and moving the lever without pushing the brake, which I know is extremely dangerous, and if I want to set the Reverse, I can only do it while the vehicle is moving. I can give you further details if you ask, I have not read anything about a similar issue so far. I've read about solenoids, TCC, brake sensors, every possible thing, but nothing fits with what happens to me.

A few extra information, related or not; I have a Service Engine Soon light going on, but it's always been ON and never had any problems before. The car is leaking something underneath and a friend of mine told me it could be transmission fluid, but we checked the level and it's OK.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I really love my Lumina, but I'm gonna be here in the USA for another month!!! Thank you in advance!!!