Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

1996 caprice 5.7

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 caprice 5.7

Have been having problems with humidity effecting my Caprice for a long time, started working on the problem last summer through just a few days ago. This is all the new parts I have had put on the car to fix this issue.

1. New Ignition Pack (Summer 2016)
2. New Distributor Cap & Rotor (Summer 2016)
3. New ECM (Winter 2016)
4. New Optispark Distributor ( May2017)
5. New Water Pump (May 2017)
6. New Spark Plug Wires (May 2017)

After new distributor, water pump, and plug wires installed on Wednesday the car started right up, no hesitation and it drove fine around the block, the temperature outside was about 72 degrees and low humidity.

I started it up Thursday night to use it for work and it started up and drive fine for about 20 minutes then died on me in the middle of the road, no warning at all and I could not start it, had pleanty of power but no spark it seemed and their was a bad chemical smell coming from the exhaust. It kind of seemed like it maybe was flooded, not from me, I only tried to start it very briefly.

What's weird about my car is that many years ago I had an issue with the radiator fan not coming on and the mechanic unplugged the water temp sensor that;s near the water pump and the fans came on and stayed on so have always kept that sensor unplugged, more recently though over past few years if I plug in that same sensor the car will not start, very weird.

But back to the current issue, the only sensors that I have not replaced that may or may not be suspects with humidity issues are the, Water Temp Sensor, MAF Sensor, Air Temp Sensor.

I assume only the Air Temp Sensor would be affected by the humidity??

I had the vehicle towed to where I live and late this morning went to see if it would start, it did but barely and some smoke came out of the exhaust for about 15 seconds then cleared up, that chemical smell was their again of course, usually when I let it run for a few minutes the car will idle fine but this time it did not do that, idled a little ruff. The temperature was about 63 degrees with 56% humidity.

Which of these sensors that I have not replaced are effected by humidity?