Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

battery dies

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2018, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery dies

Need some help on this one, my truck was dead the other morning tried charging the battery it never took a charge. I bought a new one put it in my truck and within 3 hours the battery was dead. I charged it put it back in tested the volts everything read fine. I checked the volts about 40 min later and i was down from 12.52v to 12.16v , I disconnected the alternator and checked again 30 min later and i was down to 11.69 volts. What could be drawing off the battery to kill it so fast? and yes everything is off i.e lights and radio....
Old December 14th, 2018, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search on YouTube for "parasitic drain."

This one was on a Chevrolet truck.

Even if that one isn't the one you need, I am sure some of the others will help.
Old December 14th, 2018, 2:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Without watching the vidio, what I do is hook voltmeter to battery, and individually pull fuse's till the drain stops. That will pinpoint your issue. In your case, you may have more thatn one issue, but that procedure should help you locate the problem.