Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

Rusty break lines

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2023, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty break lines

Ok here's my question I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 and I just found a crack in the line that's under the driver side. The lines are rusty as hell and I have to replace them myself should I just replace the section or the whole line? Should I just do the 1 or do them all?

Last edited by hlaplante851; March 1st, 2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2023, 6:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome from Florida. If they are rusty as hell and one is already cracked, I would replace them all just to be safe!
Old March 2nd, 2023, 8:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

replacing them all is the best bet as they will burst elsewhere. behind the tank is a common rust spot.
if you depress the brake pedal slightly with a pry bar....and keep it depressed....it closes off the ports in the master. This prevents the master from draining....any you won't have to bleed the master cylinder. just pull the brake light fuse to prevent battery drain.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old March 4th, 2023, 1:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

replace them all once one breaks rest will
The following users liked this post:
73shark (March 4th, 2023)
Old March 4th, 2023, 4:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

In the past it was a NO-NO to splice in any part of a hydraulic brake line.
There are some new products out there that can make the job of replacing hydraulic brake lines a lot easier, but you might need some special tools to do the job.
All flares must be double flare, unless they are bubble flare.
If you don't have the right tools to do the job , you might be able to rent them or consider having a good shop handle it.
Now you have some idea where the lines rust the most , be especially vigilant at the clamping brackets because that is where the road salt stays and does it's nasty work.
When inspecting the lines , where they look OK can be sometimes misleading because you cannot see the entire line unless you remove it from the anchor brackets.
All line nuts should be metric. There is nice flexible steel line available to do a decent job, can be easily formed to look neat and produce a lasting job.