Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

03 Chevy 2500hd 6.0L engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2018, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Chevy 2500hd 6.0L engine trouble

Hello new to the forum, so giving it a try. First off I have a 03 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0L in it. Has 180000 miles on it. Been having a faint whinning noise under the front of it in the morning right at the torque converter, goes away when warms up, but also been having a hard shift when going into Passover gear, when in a hard pull or pulling trailer up hill.
But only does it going into passover. On saying all this got to looking at trucks history on car fax found that Mr Transmission had replaced the torque converter. So called a buddy of mine who works at another transmission shop and told him everything and he said sounds like they used wrong torque converter for my truck. Said need check it, but have never got around to it, due to health issues. Just been not pulling with it and not running it hard.
Well went on for a year now and when got in my truck last week drove 30 miles that day came home parked it. Went back out that night go to town and started it made a loud clank sound (like a gear or chain breaking) from under truck right in same spot where been hearing whinning noise. Sounded like metal on metal grinding after that. I turned it straight off was ran for no more then 2 mins. When try start it again the lights just dimmed. So thought starter, to cold, it raining fix it tomorrow.
Well next morning same thing. Took starter off tested good. Came back home hooked chain to truck pulled up hill. Started looking over everything, put bar on crank and nothing wouldn't move motor locked up. Never had problem with truck oil pressure or nothing, have always serviced it, just that whinning.
Question is does it sound like locked up motor or can the torque converter be locked up keeping it from turning?

Last edited by Dieseldog58; November 29th, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 1:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieseldog58
Hello new to the forum, so giving it a try. First off I have a 03 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0L in it. Has 180000 miles on it. Been having a faint whinning noise under the front of it in the morning right at the torque converter, goes away when warms up, but also been having a hard shift when going into Passover gear, when in a hard pull or pulling trailer up hill.
But only does it going into passover. On saying all this got to looking at trucks history on car fax found that Mr Transmission had replaced the torque converter. So called a buddy of mine who works at another transmission shop and told him everything and he said sounds like they used wrong torque converter for my truck. Said need check it, but have never got around to it, due to health issues. Just been not pulling with it and not running it hard.
Well went on for a year now and when got in my truck last week drove 30 miles that day came home parked it. Went back out that night go to town and started it made a loud clank sound (like a gear or chain breaking) from under truck right in same spot where been hearing whinning noise. Sounded like metal on metal grinding after that. I turned it straight off was ran for no more then 2 mins. When try start it again the lights just dimmed. So thought starter, to cold, it raining fix it tomorrow.
Well next morning same thing. Took starter off tested good. Came back home hooked chain to truck pulled up hill. Started looking over everything, put bar on crank and nothing wouldn't move motor locked up. Never had problem with truck oil pressure or nothing, have always serviced it, just that whinning.
Question is does it sound like locked up motor or can the torque converter be looked up keeping it from turning?
To be honest, I've never heard of such a thing occurring, but my forte is not automatic transmissions either. I prefer stick-shifts.I can tell what I do know. I don't have the time or tools to repair an automatic transmission, just pull it and put another in it place, but if it needed replacing AMMCO and Mr. Transmission would not be the places I'd take it for an overhaul.
They have had bad reputations for many years, so it wouldnt surprise me that they made a mistake like this. However, like I said, I am fairly sure that an automatic would not stop the motor from turning over while its dead stopped.
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Yea not big on automatics either but old lady cant drive a straight. Lol Know all about mr transmission, seen a bunch they have messed up. But sad reality was serviced there before bought it. That's how found out about the replaced torque converter. Havnt got to work on it pass couple of days been in 20s and 30s. I am at a loss on what it is locking the motor. Drained oil out and no metal in it, it's clean. So question still is motor seized or torque converter?
Old November 30th, 2018, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well took all plugs out today and they all look good and clean, no signs of anything. Left plugs out they turn engine over again and it started raining.