Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

08 Tahoe 5.3 Flex AFM - no spark on #6

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2020, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Tahoe 5.3 Flex AFM - no spark on #6

No spark at all on #6, confirmed with obd2 tool, timing light. Swapping coils, plugs, and wires produces no effect, cylinder #6 still no spark. Spark confirmed on all other cylinders. Fuel good (wet at least).

Only codes are p0306 and a commanded abs system " disable due to engine performance". No other tests failing, ecu seems to be sending the signal fine.

Wire tracing, continuity testing, and short to ground testing all produce good results, no problems there.

Got a new coil pigtail, wired in my own 12v, ground, signal, and signal ground ... No change.

Disconnected the cylinder #4's coil, plugged them in "backwards" (so the ecm is firing #6 thinking it is firing #4 and vise versa), and still no spark on #6 (even though it should be firing when #4 fires), and #6's coil plug is firing #4

So I'm confident this isn't a wire or ecu problem.

Replaced cam sensor (it's in the dealer diagnostic chain). No change.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Engineerium; November 14th, 2020 at 7:10 PM.
Old November 15th, 2020, 11:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Based on all your previous attempts and swapping and wiring testing I am gonna say that the ECM is failed causing no signal to cylinder #6 to fire the coil. This says it better: Replace the ECM for a bad circuit that powers the fuel injector or coil for number 6.

I would also do a complete compression test, I never do just one or two cylinders, especially on an AFM engine. Make sure all plugs are out when you do the compression test.