Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1984 454 oil pressure problems

Old October 22nd, 2017, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 454 oil pressure problems

I bought an rv and got it running. Lots of top end noise. Pulled out the distributor and primed with a shaft a got a solid 30lbs on the dash. Pop in the distributor and start it and no oil pressure. Haven't checked the bottom of the distributor yet. Not sure what else to look for.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is this the correct pump drive shaft from the distributor? The cam drives the distributor shaft, which drives the oil pump. Sounds like the oil pump is fine, is the distributor shaft (I think on a chevy) is just slotted, with a coupling (Probably plastic) . If the distributor shaft is correct, I cannot see how the distributor would set flat on the intake manifold if it wasn't aligned/coupled to the oil pump shaft. However, I suspect the shaft's are not splined (keyed) together. Remove the distributor, with a flashlight and screwdriver rotate the oil pump shaft to align the slot as close as you can with the distributor shaft slot, drop in the distributor.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 3:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Thinking 454, the coupling shaft from the oil pump is plastic, and (old school thinking) the inside of the distributor shaft is a pin that lines into the oil pump shaft.
Old October 27th, 2017, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key is fine and it has oil pressure if you rev it, finally had a minute to go through it. Only has 44k miles. Sounds like a stuck lifter on the #1 cylinder too. Looking like it just may need a high volume pump and a set of lifters. Not too hard of a fix I guess.
pretty happy so far. $350 for a running rv.
Hit the generator button to see what happens... And it runs like a champ.

Search this Thread