Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1990 Chevy 1500 headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Chevy 1500 headlight problem

My headlights stay on all the time, even when the key is removed. I bought a new headlight switch hoping it would solve the problem. It didn't. It does not matter if I turn the headlight switch on or off, the headlight stay on. The only solution to the problem I have for now is to disconnect the headlight switch completely to shut the headlights off. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Thanks
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Smash the headlights with a hammer. No wait...that would be stupid...

My first thought would be that you installed the switch incorrect.
My second thought is that you dont have proper grounding anymore and the lights keep lit because of static electricity (and dont laugh with me...in theory it is possible !!!!).
My third thought would be that somewhere you got a bridge that overlaps the switch. (Huh ? What? You know, a positive wire that goes from the wire from BEFORE the switch to the wire behind the switch. )
My fourth thought is that your neighbour secretely put a spare battery in your car and connected wires to your headlights. Now, every time you park your car and try to turn of your headlights, he stands behind some bushes laughing his donkey off. But maybe this thought is a bit far fetched...

My suggestion is to check where the headlight wires connect together (with the switch in the OFF position) and from there use a voltmeter to see where the electricity comes from. If a voltmeter doesnt work... take one of those old flash lights, put a wire on each of the two copper plates and you got yourself an improvised voltmeter.
Every time , put the positive wire on the connection and the negative wire somewhere on your chassis (and i do mean IRON !!!!! ) Also try it on the switch connections.

I think somehow you didnt isolate your switch properly when installing it. Not sure if this helps you out somehow. If you would be my neighbour i would come from behind the bushes and help you out in real life.

First of ...Try this , look for the wire from the battery towards your switch. We call that cable A !
Then there 's a wire from the switch to your lights. We call that cable B.

Battery -----------cable A ------------- switch -----------------cable B------headlights

Strip away some of the isolation from cable B (as close to the switch as possible) and check its voltage. IF you got voltage there...then something is wrong with your switch connection. (Allthough i thought with those older cars its more of a wheelie switch that you can pull out and in and you can turn around????)

If there is no voltage there...then you have to find out where the light gets his juice from (keep an eye on that neighbour ! ) Its just a matter of getting to the source.
Old May 29th, 2009, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, funny stuff!

Seriously, thanks for the tips. Would have replies sooner, but I've been moving the past few days. I'll post in the next day or 2 to let you know if I solved the problem.

Thanks