Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1994 Camero Z28 stalls out after reaching running temp? help plz

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2014, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Camero Z28 stalls out after reaching running temp? help plz

I have a 1994 LT1 Z 28 it runs great smooth lots of power but after 15 minutes id stalls sometimes just dies other times like it starving for fuel so i tried to hook a scan tool up and the port does not have 12v no power at the obd port all wires still connected no shorts I cannot scan it so I been through the first parts to check it is getting perfect spark new dist new 8 mm wires new fuel filter new fuel pump and its still dies out same prob help i cleaned the throttle body all the crap cleaned mass air sensor it has no cats. Flowmasted and when it diesI noticed a real one of a kind bad ordor from engin area possibly egr? Where is it located exactly ?
Old September 11th, 2014, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rear passenger side
Old September 12th, 2014, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default No the egr valve is not on the passenger side rear

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
rear passenger side
The egr valve is located directly on the back of the intake exactly where you would find the distributor if is was not a opi/omi spark design with the crab cap front distributor 5.7 350 and it solved my iasue completely I love my camero again lol i am not a certified master machanic but I am a wrencher excellet parts changer and can do anything thats put in font of me but when it comes to hyst having learn ecperience I am young but I swear to god I am never going to not listen to my gut when it comes to my car i doubted my own instenct and listened to 6 of my goid friends that are certified mechanics and none if them knew what was causing my issue and each one of them cost me alot of money I replaced the dist. Wires plugs tps sensor fuel filter fuel pump and none of them were bad I almost got into a fist fight because my father told me it was not the egr valve that was my issue he said he had 30+years experience working on cars and I was dead wrong and I tried to argue wifh him that it was the egr but he thouht telling me I was stupid and did not know anything when it comes to diagnosing issues well guess who was wright and who was wrong ? Oh and there us no 12 volts powering the obd port to power the scan tool you have to use the power supply you get with the scanner also
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by themfmanb1tch
The egr valve is located directly on the back of the intake exactly where you would find the distributor if is was not a opi/omi spark design with the crab cap front distributor 5.7 350 and it solved my iasue completely I love my camero again lol i am not a certified master machanic but I am a wrencher excellet parts changer and can do anything thats put in font of me but when it comes to hyst having learn ecperience I am young but I swear to god I am never going to not listen to my gut when it comes to my car i doubted my own instenct and listened to 6 of my goid friends that are certified mechanics and none if them knew what was causing my issue and each one of them cost me alot of money I replaced the dist. Wires plugs tps sensor fuel filter fuel pump and none of them were bad I almost got into a fist fight because my father told me it was not the egr valve that was my issue he said he had 30+years experience working on cars and I was dead wrong and I tried to argue wifh him that it was the egr but he thouht telling me I was stupid and did not know anything when it comes to diagnosing issues well guess who was wright and who was wrong ? Oh and there us no 12 volts powering the obd port to power the scan tool you have to use the power supply you get with the scanner also
Ummm, OKAY!!! Yeah the paper clip trick doesn't work on you 'mero.

I used diacom back in the day on my LT1. But no modern day laptops support that anymore.. The port is gone.

You need a usb scanner for modern day laptops.
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suggest don't fool wiht laptops usb or blowing ODB ports yet. check if the symptoms match, your friend above says yes. First remove the valve (clean, bench test). you'll know and it'll be quick. you'll not have blown money or a pcm in the process.
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should search for symptoms that happend after car warms up on google if you haven't. that should bring you up many tips.

egr is one thing that cuts in after car warms up (stalls at idle? starts hard?)

oxygen sensors is another

i had a car that worked great until hot then completely had engine cutt off and restart intermittent while driving - only occasionally not on every drive. no odb tool i took me a while to trace down. it was the oxygen sensors which where intermittent, they worked great when working, terrible when failing / cutting out. seemed to be heat related.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default I am still having same issue even after changing egr

Originally Posted by silverado 1500 2001
you should search for symptoms that happend after car warms up on google if you haven't. that should bring you up many tips.

egr is one thing that cuts in after car warms up (stalls at idle? starts hard?)

oxygen sensors is another

i had a car that worked great until hot then completely had engine cutt off and restart intermittent while driving - only occasionally not on every drive. no odb tool i took me a while to trace down. it was the oxygen sensors which where intermittent, they worked great when working, terrible when failing / cutting out. seemed to be heat related.
Oxygen sensor causing ecm to cut power? The most I ever seen a oxygen sensor cause was a check engine light and code trip but never herd of it causing ecm to cut power idk but the new egr swap did not fix my issue still ongoinging sucks man I miss my car bad now I changed oil pressure sending unti it was broken I changed coolant sensor still same issue only 3 things left igniton moduel , coil, distributor then its either wiring or ecm idk and as far as the obd port if you own a 94 it does not go in depth far enough like with newer cars it gives very little to work with anyone know a good gm guy that can burn custom ecm's? Or help me fix my baby ?