Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1994 g20 alternator replace?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 g20 alternator replace?

1994 g20, 2wd, 350 engine?, extended cargo van.

My battery died after only a few minutes of the light being on. Coworker suggested it was the alternator.

My first question is how hard is this repair? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but if the part isn't behind/under a bunch of other stuff and the job doesn't require any weird tools, then I can probably figure it out. For comparison, I replaced the heater core in a 1995 Ford F-150.

Also, would it be ok to get this part from a junkyard, or should I spring for a new one?

All advice appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You can test the alternator yourself if you have a volt meter. With engine running put the probes to the battery terminals and you should read approx. 14 volts. If you read about 12 volts or less than it is not charging which is probably the alternator. Autozone and Advance will test the alternator free of charge if you bring it in. I would buy a rebuilt one rather than a new one. They give good warranties. You take your chances with a used one as you don't know how long they will last.
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can test the alternator yourself if you have a volt meter. With engine running put the probes to the battery terminals and you should read approx. 14 volts. If you read about 12 volts or less than it is not charging which is probably the alternator. Autozone and Advance will test the alternator free of charge if you bring it in. I would buy a rebuilt one rather than a new one. They give good warranties. You take your chances with a used one as you don't know how long they will last.
Thanks for the reply! I will get it tested today at Advance. So I can get a new one anywhere, a used one at the junkyard, but where's a good source for a rebuilt one?

And still wondering how tricky the job is?
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

All the auto parts stores sell rebuilt ones with good warranties. You can check them all online. You can also get a discount by ordering online and picking it up in the store.
It is not a difficult job to do if you can get your hands in and around the alternator. I am not familiar with your van.
Old May 16th, 2017, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
All the auto parts stores sell rebuilt ones with good warranties. You can check them all online. You can also get a discount by ordering online and picking it up in the store.
It is not a difficult job to do if you can get your hands in and around the alternator. I am not familiar with your van.

Oh, I figured the parts stores would only have new ones. That's good to know, tyvm. I saw some pics online of the repair, I think I can get to it without too much trouble.

Think I'll go see what the library has for repair manuals. Yay! A project!