General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1994 TBI whistling

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2019 | 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 1994 TBI whistling

Hi.... researched enough to know my son's 1994 4.3 Chevy 1500 W/T has a whistling problem from the base of the TBI system indicating a gasket failure and that "theory" is reinforced by a fast idle at start up.... simply, the TBI gasket needs to be replaced... has anybody done this? Is there a step by step listing somewhere for this? I saw a 5.7 gasket replaced from an A1 You Tube video and suspect the process is much the same... suggestions appreciated.... PS This same problem occurred well over a year ago and I sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the carb and the problem "went away" so we didn't replace the gasket... I will try that again tomorrow but want to be prepared if that doesn't solve the problem..... Thanks....
Old February 3rd, 2019 | 4:57 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...96b43f80c90f2a
Old February 3rd, 2019 | 6:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you.... it doesn't get much better than that.... Doesn't look too tough.... I did decide to go out and check out this and a few other problems on the truck.... and ran into a difficult hood release problem too... but finally got it to pop and then lubricated that... Then I started the motor and the high pitched "whistle" was there just like a year ago, so I sprayed carb cleaner around the base and also, like last year, the whistle disappeared... My son still has the $5 gasket I bought last year but didn't get around to installing.. hoping the quick carb cleaner fix works again until spring.... Tomorrow, I go after the exhaust leak... thanks again....