Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1995 G20 van 305 TBI has fuel spraying in throttle body but spark plugs are dry

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2018, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 G20 van 305 TBI has fuel spraying in throttle body but spark plugs are dry

I thought I had a spark problem but now that I've verified spark at the new sparkplugs I see the plugs are bone dry. No sign of fuel at the sparkplugs. Fuel sprays strong into the throttle body when I crank the engine but the engine will not start. I've replaced cap, rotor, distributor pickup coil, ignition coil, computer, plugs and wires, ignition module, battery while I chased what I thought was a spark problem. I'll probably replace the MAP sensor, Engine Coolant temp sensor and Throttle Position sensor. The fuel spray at the throttle body looks strong and nearly identical on right and left injector. I hate to replace the fuel pump when I can easily see fuel spraying. Any ideas why the plugs are bone dry? Thanks in advance for any help. Phil
Old May 12th, 2018, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Should I replace throttle body?

I've got spark at the spark plugs, I've got gasoline spraying into the throttle body, timing is top dead center until I get it warm enough to put a timing light on it later (hopefully). Will not fire and start, no stutter or backfire, nothing but pure cranking. It acts like maybe a blockage in the small holes in the walls of the throttle body resulting in limited gasoline flow to the manifold. Seems to be a good time to think about replacing the entire throttle body. Any opinions out there on that? Thanks again, Phil.
Old May 12th, 2018, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Probably better to rebuild than repla$e

I looked at prices for a new Throttle Body..ouch..I ordered a Haynes manual and a rebuild kit for this Throttle Body. I'll go work on it some more now but it really seems like a throttle body rebuild is next. Any thoughts? thanks again, Phil.
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

I made a little progress yesterday. I re-checked the spark plug condition after cranking the motor and while cranking I floored the pedal and it coughed to a rough start, ran bad for ten seconds and quit. I repeated a couple more times and pulled spark plugs on both sides of motor. Both showed rich, driver side was dry, black, sooty and passenger side was dripping gasoline. From what I've read this could be caused by bad electronic control from Throttle Position Sensor or MAP Sensor. I'll replace both. I still can't get any response from the stored codes system or I might have had this fixed a lot sooner. After a week of work and over $400 in parts ( not including the lifetime guaranteed parts that I replaced for free ) I think I might finally get it running. Thanks for any thoughts. Phil
Old May 28th, 2018, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

cloged cat or muffler maybe??