Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1995 suburban blower motor

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 suburban blower motor

Hi all, I'm trying to get to my blower motor. The system was recently recharged and I get good cold air to rear of truck, but front is warmer. I have the electronic equipment blocking my access to blower. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if the dog hair from the previous owner is blocking something.

Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 1:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't access the blower from the top.Leave all that wiring and those modules alone.

The blower is under a cover, with the visible area circled in yellow below:

The cover basically pulls off. It has several slotted holes in it that fit over a post of sorts. Remove the blower wire, which pushes onto a spade type terminal through a hole in the cover, then pull the cover off, basically straight forward. Once you pull THAT off, from *UNDER* the dash, you will expose the blower motor. There are 3 or 4 hex head (7mm or 8mm I think) screws that hold the blower motor in place in the housing.

I've replaced the blower in a 1996 C1500 multiple times over the years, and have seen that exact view you show many many times.

The only thing you will need to access through the removed glove box opening is the blower motor resistor, if that is bad, and it is to the left side of the opening, up high, and out of the view of your picture.
Old Yesterday, 1:52 PM
CF Active Member

As a followup, this particular video shows removing the module you talk about, but I've always been able to get the blower motor out without doing so. Not sure my 1996 even has that module, but I basically could reach the top screw blind with a socket and short extension, so guess I've never removed the module you show. Also, my glove box doesn't have anything behind it like they show in their video.

Old Yesterday, 2:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 214 Likes on 188 Posts

I assume you do not hear the blower motor running & changing speeds??
Old Yesterday, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Removing the two wires from underneath appear possible, but difficult without removing the module. Also, there's another screw/bracket on the blower housing. It's interesting to note; I had the system charged/checked and the mechanic said the system was working well. He offered to give it another shot of freon if I wasn't happy and the front air is def. not cold, while the passenger controls/vent blow cold. I read somewhere that this could happen if the freon is low. So now I think removing the blower motor may be a waste of time?
Old Yesterday, 2:11 PM
CF Active Member

If the front blower motor is changing speeds when using the controls, and you have air blowing out of the vents, the blower motor is not your issue.

What I have seen as an issue is the blend door actuators, that control the blend of hot air from the heater core, and the actuator that controls where air is output - i.e. defroster vent (top), floor vent or dash vents. If those actuators are not working well, it can get stuck letting hot air get mixed in for the front vents, but the rear vents in a Suburban I think have their own blower and controls. At least they did on my 2003.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Ah, that makes sense. Can you point me in the right direct of the vent door actuators?
Old Yesterday, 3:32 PM
CF Active Member

Here is a random video I found on the subject:

There are two identical actuators. One is for the blend door, the other is for mode (floor, vent, defroster). There are linkages between the actuator and the shaft that moves the door. I would start by checking those linkages first, to make sure they are still connected. If you disconnect the linkage, I think you can rotate the shaft 90 degrees total to move through all the positions.

Here is a good diagram from here on the forums of where the two different actuators are. I would read this entire thread as well:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/198...34/#post469909

Last edited by jfmorris; Yesterday at 3:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Good video and thanks! So If I watch the white connector move left and right while I adjust the hot/cold, that will tell me if the actuator is bad?
Old Yesterday, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, the actuator rotator is moving back and forth ok...........hmmm

Quick Reply: 1995 suburban blower motor