Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1996 K 1500 Vortex V6

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2014, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 K 1500 Vortex V6

Hello forum.I hope someone can help me with my truck issue.I have bad fuel millage.Through this forum i have studied problems with the EGR Valve and believe it could be the cause of my bad millage. However there are a few other issues that im not sure if i can blame on the EGR Valve. Firstly as i drive down the hwy and have my gas pedal set to 1500 or 2000 rpm. The rpm needle jumps up to 2200 rpm then drops to 1800 rpm and continues doing this.The engine seems to make barely noticable increases and decreases in acceleration.So im not sure if that is a EGR Valve problem. Secondly, as i take off from an intersection.Sometimes the engine acts as if its fuel staved and in general acceleration is not as snappy as id like.Now the second issue may be dirt or rust from inside the gas tank clogging the fuel filter but i have had no indication from the previous owner that there may be a problem in this area.So im wondering if these three issues may be linked to my fuel pump.By the way my gas needle swings about and settles in different positions as i feels like.Mostly when the tank is lower than a half a tank.My definition of bad fuel millage is a 128:8 ltr tank giving me only 468 kilometers.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have a vacuum leak somewhere. That can cause the rpm to jump around. If it's an automatic, the torque converter can cause the RPM to jump up or down 400rpm. In my experience the fuel pump is either running, or it dies. Theres no in between. Always a good idea to change the fuel filter anyway. As for the EGR, might as well change it to if you haven't already.
Old December 12th, 2014, 2:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chev 1996 K 1500 V6

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
Could have a vacuum leak somewhere. That can cause the rpm to jump around. If it's an automatic, the torque converter can cause the RPM to jump up or down 400rpm. In my experience the fuel pump is either running, or it dies. Theres no in between. Always a good idea to change the fuel filter anyway. As for the EGR, might as well change.it to if you haven't already.
I am planning on changing the EGR Valve this weekend as its the number one prime suspect.Do you know is this model of Chev pick up can be chipped ?
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure can. I don't know the best option for it though. I've never had to do much to a V6 other than repair.