Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1996 tahoe 5.7 vortec engine check light

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2006, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 tahoe 5.7 vortec engine check light

i just got this from a freind who had been told the crank shaft sensor and cam chaft sensor are bad .
the tahoe runs fin until about 3000 rpm them it dies out a little if i lift off the throttle and let it shift or when it loses power i lift the throtle it has good power again. it idles smooth and starts every time but when driving at high rpm it sputters out.
now here is some more info. it had been stoilen and the theifs put deisel in and he fillied it up with more gas to dilute it and it ran fine it strill run descent butthe engine check light is on and when i take it ti autozone the say i havr to got to the dealership for ingition problems.
i have had a car that had a bad crank shaft sensor and it would cut out and stall . i do not have any trouble other then a lose of power at high rpm.
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 1996 tahoe 5.7 vortec engine check light

ORIGINAL: loft

i just got this from a freind who had been told the crank shaft sensor and cam chaft sensor are bad .
the tahoe runs fin until about 3000 rpm them it dies out a little if i lift off the throttle and let it shift or when it loses power i lift the throtle it has good power again. it idles smooth and starts every time but when driving at high rpm it sputters out.
now here is some more info. it had been stoilen and the theifs put deisel in and he fillied it up with more gas to dilute it and it ran fine it strill run descent butthe engine check light is on and when i take it ti autozone the say i havr to got to the dealership for ingition problems.
i have had a car that had a bad crank shaft sensor and it would cut out and stall . i do not have any trouble other then a lose of power at high rpm.
First thing ; I doubt both the crank and cam sensors are bad ... it wouldn't even run

second thing ; you said there was diesel in the fuel tank , this should have been completely drained not just diluted with gas. You're not clear how long this diesel / gas mix was used for and if it's recent then get rid of this mix.

Sounds like you should be changing the fuel filter , plugs , oil , injector cleaning to start off. Pull the negative battery cable off while doing this , it will reset the ECM.
It will be curious if you won't run into other issues like O2 sensors and the "cat" later on.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1996 tahoe 5.7 vortec engine check light

that makes better sense i am planning to change cat and i will change the o2 sensor due the diesel. I have ran some seafoam injector claener through it . appreciate the info i will let you know hoe it turns out