Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 chevy cargo van intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2013, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 chevy cargo van intermittent starting

I have a 2000 Chevy express full size van with a 5.0l vortec that has an intermittent starting problem in the morning. The problem manifests itself first thing normally if it is damp or cold morning. A liitle rain or the cold of winter and this becomes a yard ornament.

The van cranks like crazy but will not fire. But as you let off the starter it will kick once. Do that anywhere from 10 to 100 times and it will eventually start. Once it is running it drives fine and will start fine the rest of the day.

I know it is not a spark or spark plug issue. Replaced plugs and verified a good spark when it cranks but failing to start. And obviously the rotating internals of the engine are fine.

Squirting Ether makes no differece, so I know this not a lack of fuel (might be too much though) And the fuel rail has pressure ok. The tank is full

Im wondering if this is the temp sensor sending a signal that the air temp is very cold and richening the injector like crazy (but I don't smell raw fuel from the exhaust). Or some crazy situation where the timing is totally wrong while cranking, that then fixes itself!!!

And the key part is the engine will fire once when you move the key from starting to the run postion.

I have seen all kinds of people complaining but no solutions that make any sense.

The secuirty light goes off after 5 second of turning on the ignition so I don't think this is a passkey problem.

And we did have the ignition switch changed, plus a fuel pump on the recommendation of the local repair shop (expensive and wrong).

I have spent a few hundred dollars on a white lump that has been sitting in my yard for the last 9 months. I hate to be beat, but it is not looking good.

Some one out there has fixed this very problem, I hope you stumble over this thread and become a hero.

The gaunlet has been thrown and the challenge is on.

I will post the solution if the van is fixed so some one can brag and others can benefit.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as you might not think it is, but I bet it's a spark plug wire. Humidity causes the spark from a bad wire to jump and ground itself before getting to the plugs. Spark plug wires normally seem just fine until you have a damp environment. Unless you replaced the spark plug wires already, I'd do that and then report back. $30-$40 at an auto parts store.

-C