Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Tahoe Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Tahoe Intermittent Starting Problems

Ok... here we go. I've read a LOT of answers to several no start problems but I haven't read any like mine.

2000 Tahoe 102,000 miles. Sometimes, when I say sometimes I mean it happens maybe once a week, then it may not happen for two weeks, then it may happen twice in one day. I'll try to start my car and it will just turn over and over and over and over for as long as 30 seconds or so. When this happens all I have to do is release the key from the starting position and immediately try to start it again and it starts instantly. It will start instantly every time it does this. This happens very randomley and when it happens all I have to do is quit cranking and try again immediatly after and it starts.

Any suggestions. I have had a tune up recently (it was doing this before the tune up) and I have replaced the fuel filter. I'm thinking fuel pump but???? Is the fuel pump in the gas tank? Is there a way to replace it without removing the tank? Like an access panel in the cargo floor??

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Its the fuel pump there is a check valve or "Hat" on top of the fuel pump that keeps the system primed and ready to start. Is it has a leak the pump has to prime the lines again before it will start. You can test this by turning the ignition on then off once then starting the car I bet it will start everytime like that.
Old July 10th, 2013, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

I read on this forum that someone installed a check valve close to the tank and that fixed the problem. I don't know if I want to do that.

Can you just replace "the hat"? or do I need to replace the fuel pump? 102,000 miles... Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the whole thing huh?

Thanks for the information. I appreciate!
Old July 11th, 2013, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

The check valve is built into the pump so the whole pump needs to be replaced. I think if you were going to install a check valve you might as well save the time and expense and just do the double prime with the key. Eventually the pump will need replacing.
Old July 11th, 2013, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response. That makes sense... I'll replace the fuel pump pretty quick!