Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 GMC K3500 454 Power Issues

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2021, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GMC K3500 454 Power Issues

Hello everyone,

I am desperately in need of help. This is my first time writing a post, I read tons of them but can't put my finger on what my truck's problem is.

I have a 2000 K3500 with 454 Vortec. Love this truck and just want it to run well. Right now it has major power issues. It starts fine but won't idle by itself right away, I have to hold the gas until it warms up a bit and then it will idle fine at around 500 rpm.
It will drive fine for awhile and then randomly just loose power, really bad, shaking the whole truck, barely moving. If I hit the gas many times sometimes it will get back to normal, sometimes it will start revving really high but barely moving, almost like if I was on neutral.
And if I am towing, well, it's not towing much. It will be fine for a while but can't go uphill. As soon as I get uphill it will do the same, lose complete power, sometimes revving pretty high but not moving. It almost feel like a potato in the exhaust.
I replaced everything I could think of, is there anybody who has the same problem and found the fix?

Here is what I replaced: New fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, new cap distributor, new rotor, new ICM, new ignition coil, new spark plugs wires - Everything is ACDelco. New air filter. I had replaced the 8 injectors 2 years ago with re-manufactured Bosh injectors, I replaced the distributor shaft back then as well. The truck was running great after replacing the injectors but I always had the power issue going uphill while towing.

I get a P1351 code when reading the computer with my little OBDII reader (the one you use with your phone)

I'm kind of lost now, I would just like the truck to run great and pull our fifth wheel but if I pour more money into it for useless fixes my wife might force me to give up on it, Please help me save my big guy!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Cheers
Old July 1st, 2022, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 K3500 4x4 454 stander cab, It runs fine but from time to time it won't start it acts like it wants to start if i let it set 10 to 15 min It will start, I have replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, relay. Once it starts it is fine. HELP
Old July 1st, 2022, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Maybe leaky injectors

I had that problem with mine, if it was sitting for a long period of time, like overnight, it would be hard to start in the morning. Then once it started, it would be fine and restart easily throughout the day. I'm not sure but I think the leaky injector/s just drip into the cylinder and when you crank it the spark plug gets wet. By cranking the extra furl also gets shot out the exhaust so the 10-15 min allows the plug to dry and then everything is fine. It's been a long time since I went through that but I feel like from all I read the 454 is known for leaky injectors issues. I replaced mine as well as the spider and the problem was fixed.
Old July 1st, 2022, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Franck1849
I had that problem with mine, if it was sitting for a long period of time, like overnight, it would be hard to start in the morning. Then once it started, it would be fine and restart easily throughout the day. I'm not sure but I think the leaky injector/s just drip into the cylinder and when you crank it the spark plug gets wet. By cranking the extra furl also gets shot out the exhaust so the 10-15 min allows the plug to dry and then everything is fine. It's been a long time since I went through that but I feel like from all I read the 454 is known for leaky injectors issues. I replaced mine as well as the spider and the problem was fixed.
Thank you, but mine starts fine for days 10 to 15 good starts and them out of the blue no start sound like it wants to but don't.