Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2002 Chevy Tahoe AC issues

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2014, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Chevy Tahoe AC issues

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L non Flex fuel. Rear AC.

Need some help.

Couple months ago my wife's Ac started breaking belts. After a lot of research and about 6 belts, and a new tension wheel I decided to replace the AC system. I replaced the water pump a month before so I thought I can do this.

Thanks to these types of forums and YouTube I purchased the parts online from Advanced Auto with high hopes that I can do this.

I got a new compressor, orifice tube, high pressure switch, a dryer, and a can of pressurized ac flush. The basics to keep things under their warranty rules.

I had a local auto shop vac the system. Got all the parts hooked up and realized that I have rear ac and the parts I installed were for front ac only. So new parts ordered and installed. Getting good at it now. Advanced said I needed 11 oz of 46 pag oil. Compressor was loaded with 6.8 oz. So added some to the compressor and some to the dryer. (Note...the new dryer was smaller then the original. The advanced auto guy said it was correct)

Took to the shop where they vacuumed and charged the system. They said it was not cooling correctly. They had to put a large fan in front to get the temp down. Said my fan clutch was bad.

Back to auto store to get fan clutch. Hook it up. Car was cooling but not what you would think...blowing I would say around 60-65.

It was better then no ac so my wife was happy.

Then the other day I was changing my oil and noticed allot of oil under the ac. Thought it was weird. Couple days later, last Thursday, my wife said it's not blowing ac. Come home and look under the car and it's broken a belt. So I take it to the shop and the compressor is seized.

From doing research I decided it was probably my condenser. So had it sucked down at the shop. Traded parts and purchased a condenser this time. Orifice tube was very clean. Did see about 4 very small metal shards. The compressor looks like it shot oil out the high pressure valve?

Hooked it all up. This time the dryer was the same as my old one??

Took it to the shop and they filled it up. But now they are saying that the high and low are high. They want me to take it down so they can vac it out and they can look into it. They are stumped as well and want to know why it's doing that.

So i'm desperately seeking someone's help on why it might be doing this now. I did put a meat thermostat on and it was reading 54 at idle after 10 min. Rear ac is blowing cool as well. Reset the blend door. My worry is that it's going to blow out again and I will have to start over again. And will the store keep replacing the parts? I really don't have the money to have the shop spending a lot of time on this.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Thanks!