Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2002 impala temp question

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2017, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 impala temp question

My 2002 6 cylinder impala started running hot. I took it to mechanic and he installed a new temp control switch. It used to run about one hash mark UNDER the half way mark. When it ran hot I turned on heater high and that kept it at the half way mark at traffic lights
on 80 degree days. At 60mph it ran about one hash mark below halfway. The fans come on but it has to get up to about 220 degrees and I'm worried about blowing a hard gasket if it gets too hot.

Where is the temp gauge supposed to run at. ? HALF WAY?......BELOW HALF WAY?
What would be considered the highest degree of temp I can run at without blowing a head gasket?
Thanks Guys
Patrick
Skagit County, Washington
Old July 10th, 2017, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It should run with what the thermostat is set at, ex. 180, with a 300 deg gauge, 2/3 (ish). I'd ask how long has it been since the system was flushed, and are you using coolent instead of just water?
Old July 10th, 2017, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The temp sensors have to be matched to the gauge. If you have a 0-350 deg. sensor, and a 0-300 deg gauge, you can see there will be an error
Old July 10th, 2017, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It should run with what the thermostat is set at, ex. 180, with a 300 deg gauge, 2/3 (ish). I'd ask how long has it been since the system was flushed, and are you using coolent instead of just water?
>>just flushed it last year and running coolant 50-50 mix<< according to the gauge it's running at about 215 degrees (one hash mark above half way) gauge goes from 140 to 265 having 8 hash marks with middle calculated to be 200. It's running one hash mark above half way which would be 215 degrees

Thanks for your Help
Patrick