Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2003 suburban wheel and tire change question

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 suburban wheel and tire change question

New to the forum..

Bought a 2003 suburban Lt with 50k original miles... im looking to change the stock wheels and tires to something a bit.more aggressive looking i want to have a clean off road look whats good wheel and tire size that i can put and wont have to lift... and still want to be able to make a u turn lol... any info would help thanks and pics would be awesome thanks
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum Mike,

You have a fair amount of flexibility, as long as you remember a change to a larger tire...

Probably will reduce your gas mileage,
Cause a differential in your speedometer, making it read slow,
The perception that you don't have as much braking power,
The perception of some loss in torque/power, and
An increase in the Bow Wave when driving thru water.

When buying a new set (tire/rim) make sure that the width of the rim, and the width of the tire are the same.
Remember that Hoes and Burbs are actually Trucks, and the "LT" type tire is more appropriate for best performance.
That the offset of the rim, will be sufficient to eliminate scrubbing of the tire on the frame. Insist that the seller/rim manufacturer guarantee this.
That the higher the Profile (middle numbers like 265/70/16) will offer a softer ride, better road hazard protection, and probably (depending on mfg) a higher Load Rating.

It would be helpful if you said if you were 4WD and/or had Auto Level, and if you had any purpose (rock/mud/snow) for the "Aggressive Look" you wish to achieve.

Hopefully, others will post on specific Tire/Rim combinations, and offer exact info on Tire Manufacturer/type and Rim Manufacturer/sizes that they have used.
Old November 1st, 2014, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Welcome to the Forum Mike,

You have a fair amount of flexibility, as long as you remember a change to a larger tire...

Probably will reduce your gas mileage,
Cause a differential in your speedometer, making it read slow,
The perception that you don't have as much braking power,
The perception of some loss in torque/power, and
An increase in the Bow Wave when driving thru water.

When buying a new set (tire/rim) make sure that the width of the rim, and the width of the tire are the same.
Remember that Hoes and Burbs are actually Trucks, and the "LT" type tire is more appropriate for best performance.
That the offset of the rim, will be sufficient to eliminate scrubbing of the tire on the frame. Insist that the seller/rim manufacturer guarantee this.
That the higher the Profile (middle numbers like 265/70/16) will offer a softer ride, better road hazard protection, and probably (depending on mfg) a higher Load Rating.

It would be helpful if you said if you were 4WD and/or had Auto Level, and if you had any purpose (rock/mud/snow) for the "Aggressive Look" you wish to achieve.

Hopefully, others will post on specific Tire/Rim combinations, and offer exact info on Tire Manufacturer/type and Rim Manufacturer/sizes that they have used.
thanks for your input I did take the cons into consideration.. I have a 2wd model and to be honest im not sure exactly what look im going for just a clean off road look maybe snow maybe mud, I see a bunch of Tahoe and suburbans around town that have 22s or 24s with low profile tires and im not into that look...
Old November 2nd, 2014, 9:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha yea, I guess I did throw several negatives out...
But in fact, lower profiles lend very "crisp" control to your ride.

It sounds like you may be sighted on 18" or 20", and maybe a 285, with a minimum of a 60 profile. All # above are very general, you need to check with a Rim Mfg, and make sure they have the proper set for your general direction in this.

Next, and before you make a final on the Rims, you need to select a Tread Pattern you like. Try going to Tire Rack, select Off the Road, and view the several Treads they have.

http://www.tirerack.com/
http://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=K...d%20Tires&rk=3