Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2005 Tahoe temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005 Tahoe temp sensor

I just got a 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 liter v8 Vortec, my question is , I got it 2 days ago and had to take it back to have some parts put on and detailed from the dealership i purchased it from, when i first brought it home the temp gauge in the dash worked fine, when i took it in yesterday and got it back today the temp gauge goes up to around 170 then back to the 160 i belive, like it gets signal but then looses signal, where is the ENGINE Temp sensor, or what should i be looking for ? they did change the oil and air filter, replaced a turn signal lens on the front drivers side and fan belt. I figure in one of these replacements the wire or plug got taken off or lose. where or which direction should i look, this tahoe is totally freakin me out its nothing like the old v8's this one has alot of computer stuff involved, i did read that the pci near the airbox reads off the temp sensor, so i thought maybe when they took the air box top off to replace the air filter something went wrong there, any help will be greatly appreciated...im taking a trip tomorrow and need to know if it will be ok to drive it a hundred miles and back with this like this also, is there a back up light for the temp that comes on if the gauge dont work ? ? ? Please help and thanks alot in advance ,cowboy from the tensaw delta,mobile,al
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

try looking at where the top radiator hose goes to the engine, there should be a coolant temp senor at the thermostat housing...
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Temp Sensor

Your issue may be unrelated to the repair. I have a similar issue with my oil pressure gauge and tach. There is a recall on the stepper motors in the instrument panel I believe from 2003 to 2007. You may still be within the recall guideline to be covered under warranty. I unfortunately am not and that is what has brought me here. Repair at dealer may cost me $500 but I can take it out maybe send it off and do it for half the price. But I am not real comfortable sending it across the country so I may even do it myself for less than $100. No promise that may be your issue but its a possibility.
Old July 15th, 2010, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cowboy36618
I just got a 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 liter v8 Vortec, my question is , I got it 2 days ago and had to take it back to have some parts put on and detailed from the dealership i purchased it from, when i first brought it home the temp gauge in the dash worked fine, when i took it in yesterday and got it back today the temp gauge goes up to around 170 then back to the 160 I believe, like it gets signal but then looses signal, where is the ENGINE Temp sensor, or what should i be looking for ? they did change the oil and air filter, replaced a turn signal lens on the front drivers side and fan belt. I figure in one of these replacements the wire or plug got taken off or lose. where or which direction should i look, this Tahoe is totally freaking me out its nothing like the old v8's this one has a lot of computer stuff involved, i did read that the pci near the air box reads off the temp sensor, so i thought maybe when they took the air box top off to replace the air filter something went wrong there, any help will be greatly appreciated...I'm taking a trip tomorrow and need to know if it will be ok to drive it a hundred miles and back with this like this also, is there a back up light for the temp that comes on if the gauge don't work ? ? ? Please help and thanks a lot in advance ,cowboy from the tensaw delta,mobile,al
So are you asking for help - or what here.

If you think that you know what the problem is - and you don't want to complain or take it back and have it repaired - then what is the problem here.

The answer probably is that the last person had the same problem and got rid of it thinking that there was something major wrong when all the time all that was wrong was that the stepper motors are going bad in the cluster.

A mechanic has tools and a scan tool that can tell what reading the sensor is sending to the computer and has the experience to diagnose a problem like this - after all - that was probably what he / she went to school for.

A shade tree mechanic just throws parts at it until the problem goes away.

No one on the internet can see any further into the sensor then you can without physically diagnosing the problem. My buddy that owned a used car lot would tell his customers all the time when they asked how is the motor - I can see in it as far as you can!
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check for a loose wire on top of the thermostat, they did replace the fan belt, maybe they bumped the connection and made it loose?
as for chevy lover, he was asking for help, too bad u didnt offer any