Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2005 Venture - No Crank

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Venture - No Crank

Thanks in advance for any help on this.. I'm working on a 2005 Venture, 3.4 FWD. Van has been running great, but Saturday decided it didn't want to turn over. We are not getting the Flashing security light so I don't think it is the Passkey problem. Pulled the starter and it tested fine, but decided to replace it anyway, but that didn't reolve the issue. when the key is first turned to start the solenoide will click, but only once until I unhook all wires and put them back on. I have 12.7 volts at the Batt and 12.4 to the Starter but nothing on the ignition post even during crank, and even when the solenoid clicks. I can jumper from the main batt post to the ignition post and the solenoid will click everytime, but the starter will not spin. I have pulled the starter and grounded it, and tried again, but still the solenoide just clicks. If I pull the starter all the way out of the car and test it on the bench it works just fine.... I'm out of ideas to test, and I'm sure I didn't post all of the stuff I've tried, but please throw anything at me, and thanks again for any advice!

Chris
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi TecCrash,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

How about replacing the battery cables? Did you have the battery tested?
Old September 28th, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked voltage and load tested the battery, all seemed good there. Battery cables tested out fine for resistance and voltage drop seems to be well within norms ( .1 to .3 ) drop. I'm having problems finding any diagrams specific to the 2005 so I'm using ones from 2001-02 but everything seems the same so far. Made the mistake of listening to someone else on Sunday, so have been testing back through the wrong relay, but I just found the real starter relay and will start the diags through it this morning. I'll keep you posted, thanks for any help in advance.

Chris