Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Impala LTZ Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2015, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Impala LTZ Traction Control

For the past few months, I have had intermittent problems with my Traction Control/ABS. If I tried to accelerate quickly, or kicked the car down into passing gear to pass slow traffic, I would get the "chime", the ABS indicator would come on, and a message on the DIC saying Service Traction Control. I checked the sensors on all 4 wheels, and looked for damage on the wiring harnesses, etc., and found nothing. Finally, a few days ago, I gave up and took it to the dealer. They were able to find a problem with the Mass Airflow Sensor, which sits between the air filter asm., and the throttle body. It seems that when this sensor goes bad, it injects all sorts of issues into the BCM.

This is about a $75 dollar part at places like RockAuto.com, and would probably take about 15 minutes to replace. Needless to say, the dealer charges were Much More than that...but without an expensive code reader, the home mechanic is at a loss to find this problem. Now, I know, and will check this area closely every time I replace the air filter.