Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Malibu mass airflow sensor

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Malibu mass airflow sensor

Hi,
New member seeking info on mass airflow sensor.
2006 Malibu
3.5 engine
4 door
I purchased the car at an auction for my sun and daughter in law.
The car ran good until reaching temp then ran rough at idle After getting car home pulled plugs after checking spark plugs were in great condition no sign of burning oil.
Accomplished a compression ck with all six above 120 was happy to see results.
engine seems to lack power so checked how much air was flowing from tail pipe great flow.
Now question when pulling connector from mass airflow sensor should the car die while idling this car did not die.

thanks
Old May 19th, 2017, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that doesn't mean the maf is bad....somtimes the die, sometimes they stumble and continue to idle.

perform a throttle body clean and see what happens.

for the hot idle issue...any dtc set, ect rationality dtc? Is it low on coolant?

most lack of power problems are fuel pressure related.
Old May 19th, 2017, 1:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
that doesn't mean the maf is bad....somtimes the die, sometimes they stumble and continue to idle.

perform a throttle body clean and see what happens.

for the hot idle issue...any dtc set, ect rationality dtc? Is it low on coolant?

most lack of power problems are fuel pressure related.
What he says, the car should continue to run, but probably not very well. Even if you have a maf code dosen't mean it's bad.
Old May 19th, 2017, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thank for your response tech 2 and Kevinkpk I purchases a throttle body before the post had kinda reached the point of feeling that could be the problem as crank and cam sensor would give different problems.
Fuel press was 60 PSI at idle unable to read at speed, the coolant level just below the mark on container, no evidence of coolant in the oil, the temp is running right in the middle mark on temp gage. At what temp does the cooling fans start to run? Sorry for so many questions.
Old May 19th, 2017, 7:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

does it have a pressurized surge tank or non pressurized coolant reservoir. If its the latter, there will be a rad cap...check the level in the rad.

the fans probably turn on around 115 to 120 *C for a high coolant temp condition. anytime the a/c is turned on, the fans will run.
Old May 19th, 2017, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

It has a press black cap level of fluid is about 1 inch below svc level. the reason I asked about the fan was the temp gage at the middle mark when operating no fan I know they work yesterday it was running when I turned the car off.
Old May 19th, 2017, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

I am always concerned about the operating temp of vehicles I own along with oil press. We own 2 trucks 1 2015 chevy 4by4 and a 2003 ford diesel (I know 4.0) I love the diesel did the egr bypass and upgraded the oil cooler I know all the bad reviews I have the little scan tool where I measure the temp differerence between in and out temp of oil cooler. That diesel is a horse compairied with older diesels