Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Silverado Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2012, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado Engine Problems

I have such a long story.

I bought my 06 Chevy right of the delivery truck - it had 6 miles on the odometer (it has 105000 now). Since then I have had to have the headliner replaced (factory defect that they knew about but did nothing for), the tie rod ends and rotors not to mention that the check engine light has been on for what seems like four years. I have had the solenoid in the gas tank replaced, the gas cap replaced twice, the entire emissions systems warrantied (that was about four years ago) and then came the noise. I had it in the shop for a god-awful squeaking noise that sounded like a belt slipping. It was not the belt. I had a veteran Chevrolet mechanic keep it for four days and short of tearing the entire engine apart, he could not figure out what was making the noise. Said in 30 years of working on Chevrolet trucks he had never heard a noise like that. So back to the drawing board. The noise eventually subsided. Then it started to idle rough at stop lights (of course the CEL has been coming on and going off this whole time) so I take it in for a plug / plug wire change. The CEL was reset at that time but within 1 day it was back on again.

I took it to another mechanic and told them to tear it apart to see what the problem was. They determined that there was sooo much wrong with this engine. The cam had to be replaced along with all the lifters. The heads were sent out to be checked to make sure they were okay. These guys tell me that they have never seen a cam worn out the way this one was. (pictures to follow after I pick the truck up) They are so certain that there is a defect in this engine they saved all the parts they had to replace for me so they could show me how bad it was.

My question - has anyone else had this same situation on the 06 Silverado? BTW this has nothing to do with "piston slap". This is on the 5.3L V8 engine.

I still love my truck but really feel there is an issue here that should have been addressed by GM with this particular truck.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

Update to my story - I picked up my truck yesterday along with the parts that failed. The cam shaft on the drivers side had to be replaced due to uneven wear on the lobe on cylinder #1. The lifter on that cylinder looks like someone has been grinding it on concrete. Four mechanics from the shop that fixed it came in to the office to talk to me about the damaged on this cam lobe. The cam lobe has a groove worn in it that is very obvious. The remainder of the lobes are all smooth. All of them agree that it was a defective part.

In my entire driving life I have have NEVER had that many mechanics come in to discuss anything with me on a repair. It was like they all had to have one last look at that cam before I took it with me.
Old September 5th, 2012, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2006 4.8 with bad cam at 73,000 miles

im having the same problem with my 06 4.8 and it only has 73000 miles on it chevrolet said 3500 to fix the cam and lifters, my truck is out on the time limit but i believe thet chevy should have to fix this ive always done regular services and taken very good care of my truck and for it to do this at this low of miles doesnt say much for gm, im a die hard chevy truck fan this was my first new truck to ever purchase from a dealership so im very disappointed, now i have a truck that looks brand new still that will sit in the back yard since i dont have 3500 dollars as im still making 450.00 a month payments. ive heard of other 06 and 08 models doing this and that some dealerships have fixed them under a goodwill clause or something like that, i hope some big wig from chevy sees these posts and has a heart and makes something happen for those of us with this obvious defect!
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure how big our wigs are, but we sure can check into this further for you Steven Wheeler! For us to get a Service Request set up, which would allow us to evaulate the situation and contact the dealership, we would need the following information from you sent our way either via email or private message on the forum:
Your name
Phone and address
The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
The name of your involved dealership

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 13th, 2012, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

steven wheeler 509 john st. morgan,tx. 254-635-4025
miles 75347 vin#61305636 gloff chevrolet in clifton,tx. and mike craig chevrolet in hillsboro and allen samuels in waco
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default depressed about my Chevy Truck

I have owned a chevy truck since getting a drivers liscence. I am driving my 3rd one now 2006 Sliverado Z71 72000 miles on it. I wish i still had my previous 1995 Silverado Z71, but had to sell because of going overseas for extended periods in the military (wasn't logical to keep it setting around for years while i was away).
I saved my money and couldn't wait to get back to USA and buy another chevy truck, because they had so far been solid dependable trucks (i wouldn't give a slight thought of buying anything else).
I have a knocking or rattling on acceleration (not sure where it's coming from, because it only happens under load while driving, it almost sounds like a deisel for the short accel until RPMs drop back then it is gone).
Also have got several check engine lights.
I took it in to chevy dealer for the noise and CEL and...............
they said there was carbon build up on one cylinder, they done an induction cleaning and said noise was less, but recomend running sea foam to complete cleaning. Also belt was slightly cracking, so i told them to go ahead and change (although it wasn't in need yet). And they washed it.
I picked up my truck and the kncocking was not even slightly less, I ran the sea foam as recomended.
Nothing has changed.
So...i took my truck in for 2 concerning issues and got 2 things done (washing and belt change), that wasn't even neccesary.
I have always done regular service on all my trucks (very well taken care of and garage kept).
I went back and was told they never had and issue like this?????
So i guess if they haven't seen or heard of a specific issue they are lost???
Don't know what i should do now. For the first time i am considering selling my CHEVY and never buying one again.
Sorry post is so long, but i guess i expected when you go to the "experts" they would fix it or investigate more.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bethecreature
I have owned a chevy truck since getting a drivers liscence. I am driving my 3rd one now 2006 Sliverado Z71 72000 miles on it. I wish i still had my previous 1995 Silverado Z71, but had to sell because of going overseas for extended periods in the military (wasn't logical to keep it setting around for years while i was away).
I saved my money and couldn't wait to get back to USA and buy another chevy truck, because they had so far been solid dependable trucks (i wouldn't give a slight thought of buying anything else).
I have a knocking or rattling on acceleration (not sure where it's coming from, because it only happens under load while driving, it almost sounds like a deisel for the short accel until RPMs drop back then it is gone).
Also have got several check engine lights.
I took it in to chevy dealer for the noise and CEL and...............
they said there was carbon build up on one cylinder, they done an induction cleaning and said noise was less, but recomend running sea foam to complete cleaning. Also belt was slightly cracking, so i told them to go ahead and change (although it wasn't in need yet). And they washed it.
I picked up my truck and the kncocking was not even slightly less, I ran the sea foam as recomended.
Nothing has changed.
So...i took my truck in for 2 concerning issues and got 2 things done (washing and belt change), that wasn't even neccesary.
I have always done regular service on all my trucks (very well taken care of and garage kept).
I went back and was told they never had and issue like this?????
So i guess if they haven't seen or heard of a specific issue they are lost???
Don't know what i should do now. For the first time i am considering selling my CHEVY and never buying one again.
Sorry post is so long, but i guess i expected when you go to the "experts" they would fix it or investigate more.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bethecreature,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can check my resources for any additional information regarding this issue?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
CF Junior Member

raise the octane in the fuel to 94 or 91change the oil 5W/30 Mobile 1
Old September 26th, 2012, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

2006 Chevy Silverado Will Not Crank?
I am having problem with my truck. It first would act like it did not want to go when I was driving it, kind like it was trying to power down. Then it just quit on me will not crank up. It acts like the engine is trying to turn over when I try to crank it up,but nothing happens. Could it be something wrong with the fuel system or a circuit board?
Old October 23rd, 2012, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

I own a 2010 Silverado 1500. My buddy changes the oil at work, he teaches auto shop. He noticed last oil change I was one quart low. I began to see an engine light on and then I noticed a rattling sound in the morning when I first started it up. I drive 70 miles a day commuting to school. I took it in to the dealer and they tell me it is covered under the warranty but I need new lifters and a cam shaft. I wonder if after only 60k miles if it will wear out again after 60 k and my warranty will no longer be valid or it continues for another 100 k after the new lifters are installed. Nervous in Los Angeles.

Quick Reply: 2006 Silverado Engine Problems