Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2008 Silverado question

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2017, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado question

I have a 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 L with 102,440 miles on it . Last weekend I drove a few blocks to the store and all of a sudden it started running real rough and vibrating. I looked at the gauges and all seemed to be ok except the engine light was blinking. Turned it off immediately. I went ahead and got groceries and drove it on home . Sounded like a wop wop wop wop. Next morning call shop and they tow it. They tell me its gonna need $4200 in repairs. Replacing both sides of lifters ,machine shop etc. I tell them I dont have that kind of money. They say well. we can try a BG Treatment blablabla for 100. and it may work for a little while. They call me about an hour later and say youre good to go. I was thrilled. So I go pick it up and am a mile into my drive home and it starts it again. Wife is behind me ,I pull over and she pulls in beside me and we say screw it lets just drive it home and regroup. I slowly putt along ,engine is saying wop wop wop wop and the engine light blinking and about 2 miles later and it starts running good again and light stops blinking. Im thinking well hell yeah . So for a few days throughout the day I dealt with this 2 miles of good running and 2 miles of wop wop wop wop with engine blinking. So the next day I get the bright idea to unhook the battery for 30 mins. I did that and it ran perfect for about 20 miles and then it started back to wop wop wop wop. . So for a week now, I have been dealing with this engine issue. Anyone have any advice? Please help! I dont have very much money because my taxes have to be paid . Thanks in advance!
Old March 8th, 2017, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Changed out the throttle position sensor and have gone 30 plus miles with no issues. If this is in fact the issue then I will be happy as hell but will wonder if the most reputable shop in town was dead wrong or trying to hustle me..
Old March 8th, 2017, 8:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the engine is misfiring. Hard to say why at this point without doing diagnostics or seeing if what dtc are set.
Old March 12th, 2017, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Engine is still running well and no more misfire after changing out the throttle position sensor. I havent driven very far (maybe 50-60 miles) my buddies seem to think there is still a major underlying problem though