Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2009 Chevy Aveo LT - Loud roaring in front end

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2012, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Aveo LT - Loud roaring in front end

I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo LT and recently I have had some bad roaring from the front end of the car. The noise gets louder the faster I go. It's incredibly annoying going down the interstate. My two front tires were going bald at the time and I figured I needed an alignment. I got two brand new tires on the front and the only thing wrong in the alignment was the steering wheel, which they fixed. However the noise did not go away.

I have jacked the car up on both sides and I get zero movement when trying to move the tire side to side or up and down. If I put the car in neutral and rotate the tires I get no noise at all. Today I replaced the brakes, they needed it anyway, and I still get the same thing. Any ideas what this could be? Could it still be a bearing even though I'm not hearing any noise when rotating the tires?
Old October 7th, 2012, 2:46 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Draykaz
If I put the car in neutral and rotate the tires I get no noise at all.
Welcome to the forum... no noise in neutral tells me you may need to have the transaxle looked at...
I am not completely familiar with the Aveo, is the transaxle serviceable? can you check the fluid.
If so check the level and color to start...
Old October 7th, 2012, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

at highway speed sway the car by doing slow gradual turns from right to left and left to right. If the noise changes as the body sways and loads/unloads the bearing...it is a wheel bearing.

your not going to be able to rotate the drive wheels by hand fast enough to hear a bad bearing.

its a press in bearing so unless you have a hydraulic press; a shop will have to replace it.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Draykaz
I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo LT and recently I have had some bad roaring from the front end of the car. The noise gets louder the faster I go. It's incredibly annoying going down the interstate. My two front tires were going bald at the time and I figured I needed an alignment. I got two brand new tires on the front and the only thing wrong in the alignment was the steering wheel, which they fixed. However the noise did not go away.

I have jacked the car up on both sides and I get zero movement when trying to move the tire side to side or up and down. If I put the car in neutral and rotate the tires I get no noise at all. Today I replaced the brakes, they needed it anyway, and I still get the same thing. Any ideas what this could be? Could it still be a bearing even though I'm not hearing any noise when rotating the tires?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Draykaz,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Aveo vehicle. This issue may a suspension issue. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 20th, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Pry the fender thats by either side front door and it will fix . When u pry pry against the car not towards it and it will stop the wind from getting in or making that sound it comes from people leaning against ur car
Old June 30th, 2023, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you ever get this noise issue resolved?

Did you ever get this noise issue resolved?