Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2013 Avalanche - 3rd light gets moisture and kills the 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2018, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Avalanche - 3rd light gets moisture and kills the 3rd brake light

So recently had my vehicle serviced and didn't realize it but 3rd brake light is out. The brake light apparently is not sealed and allows moisture in it which then the LED light which should be a long lasting light no longer works. Searching I found there is no after market for this light and it is a $299 from Chevrolet (one person stated $587 to have it replaced at dealer). First this is a safety concern because taking on moisture at any time can make this light go out and result in the the mandatory light to not work. (Modern vehicles have brake lights as part of each taillight. A third brake light is located in the middle of the rear end of the vehicle. Your vehicle's third brake light is required to be in working order in Oklahoma.) It seems it should be a sealed light not allowing moisture inside the light otherwise it should be a simple replacement of the component which is allowed to fail because the light is not sealed. We sold our Chevy Cruze with only 50,000 miles as it was a mechanical nightmare and my Avalanche is proving to be not a very well built vehicle with multiple problems such as paint is peeling above windshield showing the metal is rusted when it peels, the dash is cracking although the vehicle is mostly garaged and I use a sun shield. Quality and engineering is just poor on Chevrolet. I was a Chevy fan but won't be for long at this rate.