Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2016 Traverse Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2018, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2016 Traverse Power Steering Failure

I just took my wife's Traverse to the dealer for an oil change and they just notified me that my Power Steering is leaking. The car has 28k miles and was told it would cost roughly 2k to fix. My warranty just ended less than 2 weeks ago and I know Chevy will put some Goodwill in but this just doesn't sound right to me? Does anyone have any experience with this and can point me in the right direction, my gut is telling me it might just a hose clamp and the dealer to trying to pull a few dollars from me. Any advice would be appreciate folks, hope you all are well!
Old August 2nd, 2018, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ask to see the leak. the only use of hose clamps/spring clamps would be on the low pressure side...it would not cost 2 g to fix
for 2 grand it sounds like the rack is leaking. If its a leak that is not forming a solid drop of fluid..., wash it off and monitor it. If its forming drops of fluid fix it. That is the criteria for gm warranty coverage for fluid leaks.

If you get your vehicle serviced regularly at this shop; speak to the service manager...not the service writer. be polite, look em in the eye and say...I service my vehicle here regularly; why this wasn't pick up sooner. Their response will be it wasn't leaking before. Your response will be...that's a pretty small window for a leak...2 weeks after warranty is done. I will be a satisfied customer if you would goodwill this.
If you don't't service your vehicle there...forget about goodwill...it will not be extended for customers that service their vehicle elsewhere.

Last edited by tech2; August 2nd, 2018 at 9:01 PM.