Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

3 codes

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2020, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 codes

have a chevy 2005 express, stopped at store came back out and van wouldn't start, put new starter on, still nothing, i can start van by jumping solenoid, after i started it took it down road and check engine light is flashing, put tester on and have three codes po753, po758 and p2761 so besides not starting with key codes says transmission isn't shifting, have checked grounds and replaced neutral safety switch everything still the same, could use any help out there
Old July 26th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like a power distribution or ground path issue. The codes you listed aren't just saying the transmission isn't shifting, they are saying there is Circuit problems with those shift solenoids. Those shouldn't prevent you from starting so there is another circuit problem for the starting system. So you are most likely missing power or a ground that feeds multiple items. It will take some electrical testing to see what you have and what you don't, to find out where the issue is.

Old July 26th, 2020, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcassist
This sounds like a power distribution or ground path issue. The codes you listed aren't just saying the transmission isn't shifting, they are saying there is Circuit problems with those shift solenoids. Those shouldn't prevent you from starting so there is another circuit problem for the starting system. So you are most likely missing power or a ground that feeds multiple items. It will take some electrical testing to see what you have and what you don't, to find out where the issue is.
thanks for getting back, was thinking of both of what you have said, i had a 2010 and had same problem, i ended up changing distribution box and ran new ground and took care of my issues, will try same on this one
Old July 26th, 2020, 3:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Horton
thanks for getting back, was thinking of both of what you have said, i had a 2010 and had same problem, i ended up changing distribution box and ran new ground and took care of my issues, will try same on this one
The power and ground distribution systems on modern vehicles unfortunately are much more complex, and I wouldn't personally replace any of that unless I could see an obvious melted or damaged part. Those systems include the wiring and connectors in the harnesses as well as other components, this could potentially be any number of other problems (even a blown fuse somewhere).

If you are willing to try all of that just to see if it works, please try my online diagnostic service at www.dtcassist.com first. It's made for situations like this, and the cost is far less than the parts you are talking about replacing. We research the factory schematics and faults you have, then identify where the problem likely is, and how to test it to be sure. It's a lot simpler than it may sound once you have the right information.