General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

305 Small Block Exhaust Port Size

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2017 | 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default 305 Small Block Exhaust Port Size

Hi all,

I'm from Nottingham in the UK and have a 305 Small Block (1990 Cast Number 14093627) installed in AC Cobra replica. I need to purchase some new header gaskets but I am not sure whether I need the 1.50 or 1.55 inch gaskets.

My supplier suggested I take off the exhaust manifold and measure the ports but I wondered if any of you kind people would know which exhaust gasket I need based on the engine details.

Apologies if this is a daft question but I'm a little new to the mighty Chevrolet blocks!

Thanks in advanced
Andy

Last edited by Andrew Bennett; August 16th, 2017 at 2:18 PM.
Old August 16th, 2017 | 2:25 PM
CF Monarch

1.5" is what you need
Old August 16th, 2017 | 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Kevin, I saw quite a few comments on other websites that suggested either but it wasn't always clear which small block they were referring to. I'll order the 1.5's
Old August 16th, 2017 | 3:53 PM
CF Monarch

You're going to have to pull the exhaust manifolds anyway, but small block chevy heads are what they are.
Old August 16th, 2017 | 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Kevin, the previous owner used some hex bolts, I don't have the tools to take it off as the manifold prevents me getting to them. It would have been easier if they we standard bolts! I also have an oil leak on the radiator cooler so will just get the guys at my local garage to replace both items for me... I have to buy the parts as this is not standard U.K. gear so hence the original question.

I have another question if you don't mind...... There's an oil leak coming from above the oil filter. It looks like it's coming from the oil filter adaptor. As the car has a radiator, should there be a gasket between the oil filter adaptor and the engine? I have read that it should if there is a cooler.

Any advice is gratefully received!

kind regards
Andy
Old August 16th, 2017 | 4:38 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, first hex bolts, understand these are going to be a thing to get out, especially if they were not installed with hi temp anti-seize. Radiator, can you have it repaired? Re-cored? I am somewhat familiar with the cobra, not as a replica, but a real shelby. Depending on what year the block is, does it have a screw on filter, or a canister type where the filter resides in a can?
Old August 16th, 2017 | 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Hex bolts - I'll sort one way or the other, I think I will swap them out.
Oil Cooler - it's not a lot of money so will just replace rather than repair.
The block is 1990 and the filter is a FRAM PH 30 - https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ph30/overview/
P.s. - I'll get to a real Shelby one day hopefully, need to work more! :-)

And thanks for the help again.
Old August 16th, 2017 | 8:23 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Andrew Bennett
Hex bolts - I'll sort one way or the other, I think I will swap them out.
Oil Cooler - it's not a lot of money so will just replace rather than repair.
The block is 1990 and the filter is a FRAM PH 30 - https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ph30/overview/
P.s. - I'll get to a real Shelby one day hopefully, need to work more! :-)

And thanks for the help again.
I had experience with #2057 cobra. The oil filter leak could be just a gasket.