General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

327 pulley alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2012 | 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default 327 pulley alignment issues

Greetings to you all. I've got a little problem and was hoping one of you can help out. I've got a 1966 327 I just rebuilt for somebody and have issues with the pulley alignment. I realize this is not uncommon when parts from different years get slapped together, however, my water pump pulley, chevy #3788472, and crankshaft pulley, #3755820, are apparently correctly matched and should work together from what I can find via google and some forum entries. However, the waterpump pulley is about a quarter inch further away from the engine than either the crankshaft pulley or the alternator pulley. According to the engine owner the waterpump is the same one that was on the engine when he purchased the engine used but I'm wondering if possibly the snout length could be the issue. The waterpump looks as though it has been on the engine for quite some time but this engine was recovered from the back of a barn so there's no telling. The water pump is GM 3853926. The alternator is on the right hand side of the engine if you're looking at it from the front of the engine and to be honest, I don't work on these older engines a whole lot and I'm not certain whether the alternator is supposed to mate on the front or rear of it's upper bracket arm. Either way, with it behind the bracket it aligns with the crank pulley but neither the crank or alt align with the water pump pulley. If I move the alt to the front and bolt it to the bracket from the rear it appears to line up with where the water pump pulley is but then neither one aligns with the crank pulley. Any clarification on what's wrong would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 11th, 2012 | 6:43 AM
CF Junior Member

I suspect you have a later model water pump, which is incorrect for that engine. Later model water pumps have a longer shaft to provide clearance for accessory brackets to bolt to the front of the heads. You need to replace the water pump with a short shaft one. If you tell the parts store clerk you need a water pump for a '67 you should get a short shaft pump, but I'd pull that one off the engine and take with you to compare.
Old August 12th, 2012 | 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Nah, it was a short pump, right up against the timing cover, and, the problem was solved by pressing the flange further onto the waterpump driveshaft. Thanks though.
Old September 12th, 2012 | 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

What did you use the press the flange further onto the driveshaft? I'm having the same problem.
Thanks