Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

400 smallblock question

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 smallblock question

Im building a 400smallblock for my streetstrip 84 Buick Regal. The 400 has been bored 60over. Im running 64cc chambered aluminum procomp heads that have been resurfaced twice not shaved(not sure how much was taken off). I want the motor to stay pump gas friendly while making as much compression as possible. Would flat top pistons give me too much compression for pump gas? Or would I need to go dished? And will this motor create too much heat to run hypereautic pistons. If I sprayed any nitrous to this motor it wouldnt be anymore than a 150shot. Thanks for any input...
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Default 400

your pushing it with a .060 over bore flat tops with small chamber heads will prob push it over the edge for pump gas ,you better have the heads cced and have a machine shop compute how much compression you will have .i had a stock bore 400 with flat top,s and stock head's and it was just able to use pump gas .
Old September 7th, 2010, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply... Ill definately go with some dished pistons then... Do you think I would be fine with hypereautic pistons? I hate to spend money on forged if I dont need them...
Old September 7th, 2010, 2:39 PM
CF Veteran

Default 400

i guess i have never heard of those pistons ,but regular cast should be ok for a street pounder .do the heads have the steam holes drilled in them ?nitrous on that motor would not promote the life span on the head gaskets
Old September 7th, 2010, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hypereautic pistons are the better of cast pistons(stronger) but not as good(strong) as forged.Withoug running alot of nitrous I think hypereautic pistons will work fine with a 150shot... Thanks for your comments... really helped...