Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

454 cam and spring help

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2020, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 cam and spring help

Hello! i've seen you guys know your stuff about 454's so i figured i join up and pick your brains. I have a 454 out of a 73 C10 that is going to be pulled for me that i am picking up next weekend. I'm excited to get this thing and start tearing it down to throw in some performance goodies. Its a completely stock mark iv??? 454 that i'm sure has wanted to go fast all of its life i'm hoping i can make its dream come true. I know this motor has oval port heads and from what i can tell it either has a 7.9:1 or 8.2:1 compression ratio which i know isn't stellar and can be hard to make big power with. I am not planning on touching the heads or the bottom end as i don't have the coin for that currently. What i am thinking about doing is cam, lifters, valve springs, intake and long tubes. i also have a 770 street avenger that i think will work well enough for this combo.

my question is what camshaft should i do??? i've been reading good stuff about lunati cams and a lot of people seem to like the 10110703LK cam from them which is 0.542 int/.554 exh and 110 Lobe separation, which i'm not sure why that is good, but i've seen that for a low compression 454 you want around 110 LS could be completely off base with that. Will i have enough valve clearance for this cam? is it too big? i've seen that people put .550 cams and even a little bigger in stock bottom end 454 but i don't want to get a big cam and run into valve clearance problems.

also what springs should i use for this cam? or if you have a different cam recommendation a spring recommendation coupled with that would be groovy.

anyone have experience with the GM performance z24 intake manifolds? they look like a nice dual plane intake manifold and i see a guy has one locally for sale in like new shape for $200, i was planning on going with an edelbrock air gap but if this one will be just as good i may go pick it up.

it will be going into a 71 c10, unsure of rear gears, it has a sm465 in it.

any help is greatly appreciated ive never had to pick a cam before and everything im reading online is making my head spin.