Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Rebuild and problems (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2013, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Rebuild and problems (HELP)

I just finished rebuildin a 4L60E transmission apparently unsuccessfully. I filled the tranny with fuild shifted into reverse and the to drive, all seemed to be fine so I went to drive. backed up about 20 feet and noticed a fluid leak. the luid is coming out of the vent hose than is attached to the top of the housing. So, I decided to drive to see how it would shift. It shifted to 2nd but acted like I was pulling a house. this was in reverse and forward it just didn't seem to want to go. also, I put 11 quarts of fluid in it and didn'teven show up on the dip stick. also, I did purge the cooler and put a new torque converter. I am confused and need some professional tranny help. I don't know what to do other than catch it on fire.

addtional info on things I did:

Rebuilt pump
Replaced all seals
replaced all clutch packs
replaced torque converter
flushed cooler
replaced front planetary
replaced sun gear shell
replaced all solenoidsand pressure sensor

Last edited by supertom1969; September 21st, 2013 at 9:40 PM. Reason: more info to provide
Old September 22nd, 2013, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like the pump gasket is installed wrong because your trans fluid is coming out of the vent under pressure. HTH
John
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't think the pump gasket would go on but one way??

Update:
I found that the 1-2 shift accumulator had bothe the springs in it from the 1-2 and the 3-4, it had a spring on both sides of the 1-2 accumulator and no spring on the 3-4 accumulator, I have corrected this but haven't got it back together to test yet. Would this have anything to do with the fluid coming out the vent?
Old September 24th, 2013, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

If you remove the front pump you will see where the vent passage is routed and the pump gasket can be installed or broken and then the vent passage lines up to a pressure circuit. There are some other ways to cause pressure in the vent tube but most are a combination of miss- placed gaskets and hard parts.Good luck and just look at each part and gasket close for being bent out of position or torn.
John