Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4l60e TRANNY ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e TRANNY ISSUE

Hey guys, found your site looking for info and since I'm use to being on Sportbike <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_0_0>style</NOBR> forums, I'm glad I found this! So hopefully I can get some help. Bought a 99 Astro with 113k on motor 152k on body. Knew it had a tranny problem but for what i paid for it, I'm not going to complain. Here's the issue....switched from 1st to 2nd but from 25mph to 30mph the motor just races until i let off the gas then it will switch. Now I did some esearch and found this site http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...erInstallation
and 1/2 way down you have the troubleshoot section that shows my exact issue. (Middle case leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). Doublecheck by using the pressure gauge and watch for a big drop when the PCM commands 2nd gear. Worst case poor line pressure rise (see below).Now with this symptom I'm thinking because of the leak I'm losing pressure because I also have a leak poss coming from the oil cooler lines.It also says to look into changing my Throttle Position Sensor. I just did a new filter and oil change with one bottle of Lucas Tranny oil. . I bought a Ultra Oil Cooler and will get it today! Installing this weekend. Any other suggestions.I read somewhere that i might need to tighten up Tranny Valve Body to it's proper <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_2_0>torque</NOBR>. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST AAMCO...I just read waaayyyy to many bad reviews on them. Thanks for any help. Once I get her running correctly I'll be modifing it so stay tuned for pics!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that sounds about right. it revs up because theres no pressure to hold the clutch pack inside. so. try what they are saying. first try the tps and if that dont work. well... if you wanna get dirty take the pan off. tighten the valve body up. but... if that works that will be the first time ive heard of that thing going loose. good luck. otherwise. yeah. to get to the leaking part inside that calls for tear down. so... no dont go to double A(beep beep) mco. maybe try mr. transmission. expensive but i hear they are good. but know that if you go to a shop. they wont agree to tear down just to fix one part. you might as well put in all new parts since they are in there. but. i could be wrong. try the small stuff first.
Old January 18th, 2010, 4:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cams 98 silverado
well that sounds about right. it revs up because theres no pressure to hold the clutch pack inside. so. try what they are saying. first try the tps and if that dont work. well... if you wanna get dirty take the pan off. tighten the valve body up. but... if that works that will be the first time ive heard of that thing going loose. good luck. otherwise. yeah. to get to the leaking part inside that calls for tear down. so... no dont go to double A(beep beep) mco. maybe try mr. transmission. expensive but i hear they are good. but know that if you go to a shop. they wont agree to tear down just to fix one part. you might as well put in all new parts since they are in there. but. i could be wrong. try the small stuff first.

Thanks. I'll be getting the cooler changed starting tomorrow. The Garage was closed this weekend!