Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4l80e blown, can i use a 6l90e from 4.3l

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 1:55 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4l80e blown, can i use a 6l90e from 4.3l

G'day!,

Back-story:
I have a 2005 GMC savana 3500hd, 6L its got pretty high miles(450k km), i got it from work for $500 5 years ago after we de-commisioned it but i love it and its hard finding a extended van around here. I could really use it in the future, i have a 2009 sierra 2500hd pickup for now(but thats not a van), The van has worked hard for me and owes me nothing, one day the tranny just stopped going into gear. almost as if the torque converter emptied and their was no more go go(oversimplification of events). it might be the tranny controller, it might be corrosion in the harness, shift solenoid, it might be trying to go into PTO mode even though it doesn't have one, i don't have a GMC spacific scanner to check and no mechanic i have taken it to cares to investigate because its a "old van thats not worth it"

Any-who the trans fluid smells a lot like friction material. and i know a 4l80e is a ton better then a 6l90e, but from work i can buy one of two recently decommissioned of vans(2011 gmc savana 2500 and chev express for probably $500ish ea.) BUT they happen to have 4.3l not a 6L,

A co-worker is also selling one of our older 2007 GMC Sierra's with a 6l 6l90e that is a bit more beat up and the previous driver drove like a moron, also for $450ish. Would this be a better bet? the motor on this unit is really strong and well maintained. maybe a direct drivetrain swap?? probably also harness, cluster peddle and ecu ecm swap.

Is It a bolt on?

I don't mind pulling the tranny from both and swapping a weaker 6l90e, i don't mind swapping the full harness and even gauge cluster if i need to.

I didn't really tackle this myself due to time only 24h in a day and a deep dive into tranmissions was a bit much for me then and i have never rebuilt a tranny before, its just nuts and bolts, not a big deal but i dont want to mess it up.

QUESTION, will the tranny bolt onto the 2005 Savana's 6L? or is the bell housing bolt pattern from the 4.3L to the 6l not the same?

I also understand that their might be a length difference between them, im sure i could have a drive shaft welded up and balanced if need be. not a big deal. PLS note, this is not a power build, i wont be making 600hp, there will be no turbo's going onto this unit.

I just want my Savana roaming the planes again.

Sorry for the rush question. But with those choices which is best, quickest, cheapest and would work?