Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4wd ticks

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2010, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd ticks

When I put my truck in 4 high, it ticks only when I gradually accelerate or decelerate. 4 low doesn't tick as much, but does lightly. any ideas as to what it is?
Old November 20th, 2010, 2:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i take it you are talking about the jeep in your pics? i had one that ticked in 4wd, it was a halfshaft universal joint in the front end, just get underneath and check for play in them, if no play check the front driveshaft universals
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll check it out.
It ticks on my 86 Chevy K10 Pickup. My Cherokee in the pic was my first car and has always been my favorite one, but it is now in a junk yard. But it still means a lot to me.
Old November 21st, 2010, 1:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea those jeeps are great little units especially in snow and such, in the 86, it could be the same, have a friend walk with the truck as you go slow in 4wd and see if he can pinpoint where the sound comes from. to change the universal it is fairly simple first u take the hub apart u will need a hub tool (or a lot of time and messing around with screwdrivers) when the axleshaft is out u must remove the c-clips they are on the inside of the joint in axleshafts then put it in the vice and with either an impact socket or a pice of steel tubing you pound them out. if you have a huge bench vice you can achive the same results without the risk of damage from poundin by using a large socket on 1 side and a small one on the other to push it out using the pressure of the vice (hard to explain exactly, but a good wrench will figure out what im saying) hope this helps