Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

5L V8 1998 ignition part

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2018, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5L V8 1998 ignition part

Hello all,
Need some help. I have a Chevy engine in a boat. Itīs a 1998 5L V8 engine like used in Camaros and Corvetts.
Now would like to know what that part is, what it does and most of all where to get it. Part No. or any info that helps.
Itīs below the rotor finger, the redish-rust-brown ring shape thing. I belive it has to do with the ignition time setting, but not sure.
The engine has new spark plugs, wires, cab and finger, but every once in a while it just smokes to much and runs badly.

Any help appreciated.

Stefan

Old August 31st, 2018, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I believe it's a pickup coil. Google 98 corvette 5l engine, might pull up an exploded parts view.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

Should that thing move? I can twist it like 10-20 degrees back and forth. The brown ring vs the start shaped inner part. Wondering if it has to do with the ignition timing adjustment or if itīs just broken?
Old September 2nd, 2018, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

my buddy's 98 malibu sportster has one and yes it moves about that much. Carb or fuel injected? His has carb and smokes more in cold weather
Old September 3rd, 2018, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Fuel injection. We donīt see much connection with the weather condition. More like random when it starts bad and smokes or starts well. Thatīs also an reason why I guess some timing adjustment doesnīt do what itīs supposed to.... (?)