Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

67 c20 ls swap

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 c20 ls swap

Ok so my ol truck has kinda been giving me hell. It’s normally super reliable but it’s dumping gas into the oil, blew a head gasket and needs a million other ones. It’s a 292. It’s ballsy but not enough for me. I want to put a 5.3 ls in it. What do I need? Carbureted or fuel injected is both an option. But I’d really kinda like a modern touch like fuel injectors. How much can I get out of that 292 when I pull it and put new gaskets. I’m really sick of dealing with this engine though. So I really need to know what is necessary. I’m thinking ima have like $750 before selling the engine in the truck.
Old February 4th, 2019, 6:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland drives 1967 Chevy c20
Ok so my ol truck has kinda been giving me hell. It’s normally super reliable but it’s dumping gas into the oil, blew a head gasket and needs a million other ones. It’s a 292. It’s ballsy but not enough for me. I want to put a 5.3 ls in it. What do I need? Carbureted or fuel injected is both an option. But I’d really kinda like a modern touch like fuel injectors. How much can I get out of that 292 when I pull it and put new gaskets. I’m really sick of dealing with this engine though. So I really need to know what is necessary. I’m thinking ima have like $750 before selling the engine in the truck.
I dont think its possible, and if so it would cost more $$$ then the pickup is worth. Might be time to look for a newer Chevy pickup with the 5.3 mill then modify a 292 CI to
fuel injection. Used to be a small outfit where I used to live that bought 1967 to 1972 Chevy and GMC pickups. They would fix every thing wrong with it, including rust removal and new paint and sell them for a tidy sum of money. Those years are the years that lots of us consider to be a classic Chevy pickup, without all the smog controls to boot as well. Kinda wish I worked for them, as tossing a ton of useless, noisy unreliable smog pumps in the trash bin would make me a very happy man.